We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise starting in Cat Ba as a solo traveller

3 posts
Cruise starting in Cat Ba as a solo traveller

I will travel to Vietnam in February 2019. My plan is to stay on Cat Ba Island and go on a cruise from there because I read that it's less overcrowded.

I am having trouble though to find a cruise starting and finishing on Cat Ba Island (I would line to stay on the island afterwards and visit the national park).

Also, I will travel on my own. I would like to join a group but I do not want to go on one of the party boats. Also, I am not looking for a very luxurious boat where you have to dress up for dinner.

Can anyone recommend a cruise starting on Cat Ba Island that you can join as a solo backpacker?

I researched Cat Ba Ventures what seems to be a good company. They offer 2 day/ 1 night where you can join a group but only private cruises for 3 day/2 nights... so I would be glad for any alternatives!

12 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
42 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: Cruise starting in Cat Ba as a solo traveller

I did exactly that last December. Stayed two full days in Cat Ba town.

A full day cruise booked through my hotel, cost only 340,000VND including transport, visit to Monkey island, kayaking, good lunch on board, and a visit to floating village on the way back. Half of the other passengers were solo travellers like me.

The day trek in the national park cost 360,000VND. Two guides, transport, lunch, then a short cruise back to Cat Ba. More solo travellers in that group as well.

Edited: 8:07 am, December 02, 2018
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
333 posts
2. Re: Cruise starting in Cat Ba as a solo traveller

Cat Ba Ventures is a good choice.

We did a cruise with them last week and it was simply great. It goes to the less crowded parts anyway and ik addition our guide had a good hand at leading us to places were our group was nearly alone and then we were ready to leave as other groups arrived.

We simply dropped by the office and were able to book a cruise for the next day.

By the way, I think private really means you and whomever you want to go with you in this context. Not solo traveller. I think you will be able to just book as solo and then the tour will be filled up with other persons up to a maximum of 12 on the 2 day 1 night. We booked 2 places nit the entire group was 8 people.

The staff speaks really good English and is more than helpfull, so you can contact them directly with any query you have.

3 posts
3. Re: Cruise starting in Cat Ba as a solo traveller

@GD365

Thanks for your reply!

Where did you stay on Cat Ba? And do you remember the name of the cruise company?

I want to do at least a 2 day/ 1 night cruise, maybe even a day more...

Edited: 9:06 am, December 02, 2018
4. Re: Cruise starting in Cat Ba as a solo traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:01 am, December 12, 2018

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
2,916 posts
235 reviews
169 helpful votes
5. Re: Cruise starting in Cat Ba as a solo traveller

Post 4 is spam!

6. Re: Cruise starting in Cat Ba as a solo traveller

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:25 am, December 12, 2018

Hai Phong, Vietnam
Level Contributor
140 posts
179 reviews
153 helpful votes
7. Re: Cruise starting in Cat Ba as a solo traveller

You can a a full day trekking through the lush jungle and full day cruise to offshore islands and hidden lagoons

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
22 helpful votes
8. Re: Cruise starting in Cat Ba as a solo traveller

We are also looking for an overnight cruise from Cat Ba for March. In our 60's so sightseeing is more important than trekking. There seem to be plenty from Halong but almost nothing from Cat Ba. Is it off season maybe?

9. Re: Cruise starting in Cat Ba as a solo traveller

Removed on: 6:27 am, February 20, 2019

Crouch End, United...
2 posts
10. Re: Cruise starting in Cat Ba as a solo traveller

Hey!

May I ask you where did you stay in Cat Ba? Thank you so much!

Reply to: Cruise starting in Cat Ba as a solo traveller
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted