We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moraira bull running in July

Which Moraira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
moraira bull running in July

Hi all, I have just booked a villa near the centre of Moraira in July. I am really excited as I have just realised we will be there for the fiesta. Can anyone tell me what time of day the bull running takes place and if it is just on one day and if it is suitable for children (11 & 8 ) to watch ? I really want to see the procession of the virgin mary and the fireworks but just trying to decide weather to avoid the bulls or not ? i 'm not sure if its something i really want to see but when in Rome and all that !

moraira
Destination Expert
for Moraira
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: moraira bull running in July

Haha, you wouldn't get me in there.

Your very brave if you do. :)

Leicester, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: moraira bull running in July

omg just watched it those people are crazy! I will defo be keeping my distance !

Down
Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: moraira bull running in July

The aquatic fireworks are always on 16th July immediately following the procession of the Virgin and the trip round the harbour for her to bless the ocean for the fishermen. Once she is safely back in the chapel the fireworks will begin. The 16th is the Saint's Day of the Virgin (can't remember her full title) who is the Patron Saint of Moraira and never changes regardless of the day of the week.

The previous night (15th July) there is another very good fireworks display at the castle.

Best place to watch the aquatic fireworks is from the far end of the beach away from the town. Many people take drinks and snacks.

Best place to watch the castle fireworks is from the seafront in the village near Xambel bar. The police will barricade off the street from the Golden Bay Chinese Restaurant towards the castle and Xambel is about as close as you will get as a pedestrian. They do tapas so if you are very lucky and in very good time you could have a drink and a nibble and a comfortable seat for the "show"!

Both fireworks displays last around 20 minutes and are extremely good. I've only missed it twice in 17 years.

I normally go into the village around 8pm at the latest as parking can be extremely difficult.

As for the bulls, they are so called baby bulls (enormous enough to me!). They don't kill them but they do torment them by throwing sand in their eyes etc. to goad them into charging. The early evening "bous de la mar" is rather

"milder" than the late evening one. I strongly recommend you don't go to that. Occasionally a tourist who strays too near the bars has been gored. The local lads stand just at the bars and dodge in and out at the bulls and to run at the platforms in the centre of the ring.

If you don't have a seat and are in the standing area below beware of seed husks raining down on you from above. The seeds are a popular snack!

Hope this is helpful!

lancs
Level Contributor
545 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: moraira bull running in July

Why anyone would want to go and watch a animal being tormented for the entertainment of others regardless of wether or not "its tradition"so was bare baiting!......is beyond me and to ask shall I take my children............NO YOU should not.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: moraira bull running in July

Just to say this kind of "traditions" disgust many of us Spaniards too. I would never go neither encourage anyone to support these barbaric festivals. Torture is NOT culture!

Leicester, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: moraira bull running in July

Thank you for all of your replies, I asked about the bulls as I really didn't know what was involved in the festival. I thought maybe they were just led through the town or something, probably naive of me, but as I said I had no idea thats why I asked ! I certainly don't want myself or my children to watch animals being tortured.

lancs
Level Contributor
545 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: moraira bull running in July

I wish you and your family a great holiday,I'm sure you will find lots of exciting things to do,

Ramsgate, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: moraira bull running in July

Sounds great but the ring has three sides with the fourth oprn to the harbour wall. The idea is to bate the bull to charge over the wall into the sea. It is common for the bulls to then die of a heart attack. I am not an animal rights fanatic but this put us right off. Be aware you are likely to see a drowning bull!

Ramsgate, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: moraira bull running in July

Sounds great but the ring has three sides with the fourth oprn to the harbour wall. The idea is to bate the bull to charge over the wall into the sea. It is common for the bulls to then die of a heart attack. I am not an animal rights fanatic but this put us right off. Be aware you are likely to see a drowning bull!

Moraira, Spain
Level Contributor
697 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: moraira bull running in July

Slight exaggeration there, ive watched this for several years and never seen a bull drown. Last year one died in the sea in denia and it did make the news. My teenage son ventured into the arena last year and he got wetter than any of the bulls lol!

Get answers to your questions about Moraira