We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to St Michael's Mount end of August

Which Marazion hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
626 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to St Michael's Mount end of August

Hi there,

I am intending to revisit SMM during the last week of August after more than 25 years from my last visit, with my daughter and am really looking forward to it. What would be the best time to visit so that it is not too busy eg morning or afternoon? What time should we go as to be able to walk across the causeway as well as get the boat back ? How much time should we schedule to visit the castle as well as the gardens at a leisurely pace?

Thank you.

5 replies to this topic
oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to St Michael's Mount end of August

If you want to walk over you will be restricted by the tide you can walk over from about an hour and a half before low water for about 4 hours heres a link to the tide times for August visitmyharbour.com/tides/…newlyn-tide-tables. a couple of hours should be enough time on the island and then you can either walk back or take the boat depending on the tides.

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
921 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to St Michael's Mount end of August

Hi

Do you know exactly what day you're planning to come? I can give approximate causeway times if you have a few days you're thinking about. The times are different every day.

In August it will be busy whenever you go, but certain times may feel less busy, depending on the tide. For example, if you pick a day when the causeway is closing mid afternoon, you could walk over before it closes and boat back, and it will be less likely to be busy as many people will leave the island before the causeway closes.

The castle is open Sunday to Friday, but in August, the gardens are only open on Thursdays and Fridays, so this may affect your choice of days.

Edited: 6:39 pm, July 19, 2013
Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
626 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to St Michael's Mount end of August

Thank you for your quick

Jezzyka- thanks for letting me know that the garden is only open on thursdays & fridays as we do plan to visit the garden as well so would like our visit to coincide with its opening times. So tentatively , it will be the last thursday of the month to visit SMM. Pls do let me know what would be the best time to walk across as well as take the ferry back.

Tq.

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to St Michael's Mount end of August

You should be able to walk across on the 29th from about 15:30 but bear in mind that the castle closes at 17:00 maybe boat across and walk back although in my opinion the fun is walking over, you can always take your swimming stuff and wade over a bit earlier.

I remember doing this when we were kids on holiday evryone trying to be the first to make it, often having to swim the last bit

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
921 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to St Michael's Mount end of August

Hi

On Thursday 29th the causeway won't open until about 16:15, so you'll be needing to get a boat across if you want to see the castle and Gardens, then you can walk back. Last admission to the castle is 16:45 and it closes at 17:30. I'd suggest going over at about 2:00 so you have time to visit both castle and gardens, and have a cup of tea in between!

Reply to: Visit to St Michael's Mount end of August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marazion