We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non Ac Houseboats in the backwaters of Trichur.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Topic
Non Ac Houseboats in the backwaters of Trichur.

This is a simple houseboat with a bedroom which can be fully open to the living room and has a bath room. The boat is moved by 2 men with out engine. So, you hear the water, wind and birds. Unlike luxury houseboats in Alleppey, this is ethnically designed and do not disturbs your eyes. Off the beaten tracks of Tourism, one could see only fishermen, birds and villages.

RuffMumbai, I had promised to post you the photos. Please find them here.

www.facebook.com/photo.php…

Suresh P R

12 replies to this topic
Cochin
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Non Ac Houseboats in the backwaters of Trichur.

Hi Suresh,

It looks good. The photo looks really pristine.

Regards,

Team tennderGreens

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Non Ac Houseboats in the backwaters of Trichur.

Thanks. tennderGreens,

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non Ac Houseboats in the backwaters of Trichur.

I like the photo of the boat itslef. Are the backwaters you refer to in the Chottanikkara area? The Alleppey (Kuttanad) backwaters themselves are hard to beat in terms of beauty. I have taken a speedboat trip around a part of Kumarakom backwaters. It did not impress. It is possible that I did not see the best part. So, there is the beauty of the backwaters itself to be compared. What about mosquitoes at night if someone stays overnight?

Cochin
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Non Ac Houseboats in the backwaters of Trichur.

Hi RuffMumbai,

It doesnt come at Chottanikkara/vaikom side. Trichur happens to be the north of Cochin. However, there is a growing potential around North Kumarakom, Chempu, Vaikom areas for resorts and houseboats. Some upcoming resorts are worth considering in this area. Sure, soon this area will pose tough competition to Alleppey.

There used to be a time (the time before A/Cs in Houseboats became so ubiquitous) when mosquito coils were the only respite in getting a good sleep. Otherwise, sleeping in an open window houseboat will turn out a night-mare.

Regards,

Team tennderGreens Holidays

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Non Ac Houseboats in the backwaters of Trichur.

RuffMumbai

Of course, the backwaters of Alleppey are nicer. But, are there some space in the backwaters among hundreds of "luxury houseoats" in Alleppey?

This is in backwaters of Trichur. These backwaters are not much known. This is the north end of backwater which starts from Kochi and pass by Kodungaloor and ends in Chettuwa harbour. Recommend the boat for day cruise.

The mosquitoes in the houseboat are mostly due to poor management of the cruise. If the boat is smoked and anchored where there is enough wind in the midde of the lake, there would not be any mosquitos.

RuffMumbai, I invite you to have a trip with us.

Suresh P R

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non Ac Houseboats in the backwaters of Trichur.

Ooops! Typed Chottanikkara when I meant Chettuva. My knowledge of Kerala Geography is reasonable. Back later with more queries.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non Ac Houseboats in the backwaters of Trichur.

Hi Palmlandtours, I have asked some questions about this before on this forum, but perhaps you did not see them. They were in response to your post.

Last month, when in Kerala, I asked a hired car driver who is a native of Thrissur about tyhe Chettuva backwaters and boats and he simply did not have a clue.

Where exactly by Chettuva harbour can one get a houseboat? Can one hire one of these for an early morning or late evening ride? How many of these are usually available around there? If one just lands up there, can one hope to get a ride on one of these? Is it possible to make a family picnic of it?

I still have Athirapally and Parambikulam to tick off my list of places to spend time at next time I am in the vicinity of Thrissur. Would have to see about these backwaters after that.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Non Ac Houseboats in the backwaters of Trichur.

These houseboat is based in Thoyakkave - 28 kms from Trichur, 3 kms from Kodungalloor - Guruvayoor road and 12 kms from Guruvayoor temple. Unlike the houseboats in Alleppey, which can not be moved after sunset, these boats can be cruised till 10.30 at night. That means you could hire the boat for 4 hours and you could cruise and have dinner at the boat and depart to hotel in Trichur / Guruvayoor. Imagine, the boat moved with poles at night with good breeze having dinner on board with Karimeen, crabs fresh from the backwaters prepared by local families. This is suitable for family picnic.

Call me when you have a plan and I invite you to have an evening at the boat.

Suresh P R

In Kerala since 1968:-

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Non Ac Houseboats in the backwaters of Trichur.

Thanks for that, Suresh. If we can just land up and hail a boat, we might just do that. Thrissur plans are usually fluid. We might make a trip of Kodungalloor, Nattika, Thoyakkavu and a village slightly north-east of Guruvayoor. Can one travel from Kodungalloor to Thoyakkavu by boat?

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Non Ac Houseboats in the backwaters of Trichur.

Kodungallor - Thoyakkave is navigable by boat. But, not aware of any boats there.

Reply to: Non Ac Houseboats in the backwaters of Trichur.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted