We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit Kushinagar?

Boston
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
visit Kushinagar?

We will be in the Delhi the last week of December and I very much wish to add a visit out to Kushinagar. What is the best mode of transportation and how much time should I allot for the visit?

I have been told that a train to Gorakhpur is the best way out there. I was thinking of an overnight sleeper train perhaps to save time.

Would it be unwise for an american tourist to undertake this excursion on his own without a guide?

Mentioned in this post
Gorakhpur
Gorakhpur
Baghpat District, India
3 replies to this topic
Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visit Kushinagar?

It would be better to have someone local with you .

It help you a lot and safer.

Sunauli, India
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: visit Kushinagar?

Dear Sir

good suggestion from the traveller

from Gorakhpur its hardly 3 hours journey from both side

not issue for any 1 here.its safe for all touris.many foreigner usually come to gorakhpur to departure for nepal

u can visit also Lumbini which total journey 5 to 6 hours from gorakhpur.lumbini is the lord budhha birth place

bodhgaya u can visit as well

Edited: 3:53 am, November 12, 2015
Mentioned in this post
Gorakhpur
Gorakhpur
Baghpat District, India
Switzerland
Level Contributor
526 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visit Kushinagar?

This is a very old thread, but for others interested: Best way to travel to Gorakhpur is by night train, arrive in the morning, and proceed to Kushinara//Kushinagar immediately after arrival. It is about 1.5 hour by bus. Tell the driver you want to get out at the "Buddha stop", as the local bus continues to Kushinagar town. From there you walk down, or take a Rickshaw, until you come to some temple guesthouses to your left (Chinese or Taiwanese temple). You can go and ask there for a room. Rooms are very good, at a moderate price (last time I asked it was Rs 500, some years ago). If not available, there is a Tibetan temple guesthouse a bit further down after the bend, also to your left (a room there was Rs 700).

One day is sufficient at Kushinagar, and it is perfectly safe to go there during daytime, alone or as a couple or family.

Mentioned in this post
Gorakhpur
Gorakhpur
Baghpat District, India
Reply to: visit Kushinagar?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gorakhpur