We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses from Gorakhpur JN. railway station to Sunauli Border

National Capital...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Buses from Gorakhpur JN. railway station to Sunauli Border

Hello Everyone!

Please help me, I'm totally clueless that from where do i get buses to Sunauli border. I'm travelling through train from Delhi to Gorakhpur Junction.

Which is the nearest bus station to get the bus for India - ( Sunauli )Nepal border.

Please Help Me.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Gorakhpur
Gorakhpur
Baghpat District, India
12 replies to this topic
Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buses from Gorakhpur JN. railway station to Sunauli Border

go out the front of the train station and about four hundred yards down on the left at a crossroad bus will be pointing north. or pay one of the rickshaws to deliver you to it.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buses from Gorakhpur JN. railway station to Sunauli Border

sorry go out of the front of the train station and turn right then four hundred yards down on the left

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buses from Gorakhpur JN. railway station to Sunauli Border

im just doing the reply for practice as I will be going back to india and nepal

kadiri
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Buses from Gorakhpur JN. railway station to Sunauli Border

Lumbini to katmand buses available Please timings Sir...

Edited: 11:05 am, April 14, 2017
Switzerland
Level Contributor
525 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buses from Gorakhpur JN. railway station to Sunauli Border

A small bus starts filling at 6 a.m. but may not leave until 7 a.m. It can take up to 8-9 hours, with a food break in between. If you don't want to spend relatively much money for a meal, bring your own food. The bus leaves at the small village outside Lumbini Garden, near the entrance closest to the birth place of the later Buddha.

Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buses from Gorakhpur JN. railway station to Sunauli Border

I thought the bus ride from Gorakphur to Boarder will only take 4hrs? I will be crossing the boarder this July. But I will be arriving at Gorakphur in the afternoon, I don't want to arrived at the boarder by night. Do you have any suggestion?

Switzerland
Level Contributor
525 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buses from Gorakhpur JN. railway station to Sunauli Border

You are right, it would not be safe to travel to the border into the night. You have to stay over night at Gorakhpur. There are guesthouses opposite the exit of the railway station compound. A better one (better than the first one whose name is Standard something; the rooms are ok, but there is often a diesel generator running outside which makes a lot of noise and fumes) is to your right, about 100 meters down the road. Then you can take a bus early morning, after sunrise.

Mentioned in this post
Gorakhpur
Gorakhpur
Baghpat District, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buses from Gorakhpur JN. railway station to Sunauli Border

Can anyone help me with my inquiry? Is it still possible to cross the boarder of Sunauli if I arrived at Gorakphur in the afternoon?

Switzerland
Level Contributor
525 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buses from Gorakhpur JN. railway station to Sunauli Border

It would be really helpful, if you gave more information about your situation.When is your train scheduled to arrive in Gorakhpur? Are you in a rush because of visa expiry on the day of your arrival in Gorakhpur? If you absolutely have to go that afternoon, you always have the option of taking a taxi to the border (70 km, Rs 1500-2000). There are cars waiting outside the station that would also take you even up to Kathmandu or Pokhara, at a price obviously.

This guy says, buses take now 1.5 hours (with pretty good description of the process of border crossing at Sunauli) . https:/…

When I went (with a private small bus) it took 4 hours (road construction on he way).

An important question for you is: How experienced are you with traveling in India? It is never good to arrive anywhere in India into the night. The Gorakhpur-Sunauli stretch is safe to travel during day time, at night time it can be problematic. You always have to take the possibility of a bus-breakdown into account. Though unlikely, it is still possible.

To find more information about your train arrival, you can check how that train normally performs in terms of on-time arrivals. http://etrain.info/in?PAGE=runningHistory

Another question is: What are your onward travel plans? It will take you less than one hour to cover the border crossing formalities. The Indian side is very congested, the Nepal side rather relaxed, a big relief when you arrive there. But then comes the job of getting a place to stay or if you are in a rush, a bus to Kathmandu, and getting transportation to get to guesthouse or bus stand.

All of this would be much easier, if you did this during daytime and not into the night. (Sunset is at 6.52 p.m. at the moment in that area.)

P.S. The border closes at night, but it is unclear when exactly the closing time happens.

Mentioned in this post
Gorakhpur
Gorakhpur
Baghpat District, India
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Pokhara
Pokhara
Gandaki Zone, Nepal
Mumbai, India
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Buses from Gorakhpur JN. railway station to Sunauli Border

Can you tell me how much Taxi charges for Pokhra Nepal from Gorakhpur Railway Station ?

A K Verma

nura_1945@rediffmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Gorakhpur
Gorakhpur
Baghpat District, India
Reply to: Buses from Gorakhpur JN. railway station to Sunauli Border
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gorakhpur