We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions please

London, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
suggestions please

hello

i have 12 days in Phillippnes .does it make sense to share this time on 3 islands?

already have reservations for 4 nights in el nido, i think about, coron island although I'm not a diver, I was told that this place is particularly good for divers

have suggestions on how I can utilize my time usefully?

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: suggestions please

Hi,

My personal opinion is - avoid staying in Coron town.

I know it is quiet cheap, but I somehow felt it defeated the whole purpose of coming to a place which is beautiful and then staying in a dump.

These photos of Coron town should give you a fair idea of what to expect in Coron town proper.

…wordpress.com/2011/…

The contrast with the resorts in outlying islands (you can see them on successive pages) is apparent. The difference in costs is not so much - staying in an outlying island will cost about 500 - 700 pesos more

(Of course, if you are on an absolute rock bottom low budget, I can understand)

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: suggestions please

Staying on an outlying island, means you will have no restaurant choices, and will pay a premium for island hopping tours.

If you dive, you will either have to come back to coron town, or hope your resort has a dive center.

My own personal choice is to stay in Coron town, and not because I have a "rock bottom low budget", but because it makes more sense

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,399 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: suggestions please

I agree PHoenix. Its exactly what I said in some prior threads.

Tommo

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: suggestions please

I agree Phoenix, on the restaurant point - NUMBER of options will be lesser ( make that MAY) as you can always get a boat back. We did that after the hot springs when we had dinner at Coron at a popular dive center and then returned to discovery island.

However, we did try restaurants in Coron on our last day and last night - while La Sirenetta was good, the other one (at one of the popular dive centers) was crappy - in all respects. There is a stinking review on TA somewhere about it written by yours truly. (I forgot it''s name - but can quickly check it if you wish)

The point is,

a) Most such resorts have a dive center attached (some are closer to the dive spots so it makes better sense)

b) The restaurant at Discovery had sufficient choice for a stay of 5 days - I would only get bored after that.

So I don' t think one will miss out much if one does not stay in Coron down.

However, the budget point you have made is totally valid - For a budget of say 1300 pesos per night, I think one would have to stay in Coron town only. (If I remember right, Big Mama had told me that Discovery island resort has rooms for 1400 onwards)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,399 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: suggestions please

YLOO was the Restaurant you refer to Seadive? We had an ok meal there and the place is packed with backpackers and divers.

Tommo

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: suggestions please

@ Tommo,

Let me check my photos.... I will get back to you on Tuesday - I promise.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: suggestions please

YLOO, I would agree with you on restaurant choices in Coron, many of them, but not that good.

For several meals, I went to the public market and bought fish for between 50 to 100php per kilo, and squid and crab for 80 to 150php per kilo. I then took it to Jackies restaurant along with some okra, eggplant and string beans, where it was cooked to order for 100php per kilo, quite reasonable

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: suggestions please

@ phoenix,

as for me, I was glad we ate most of our meals (including the free breakfast, which was sumptous) at Discovery island. I am not much of a seafood eater, but the other guests were relishing the fresh catch that they cooked.

I liked the food at La Sirenetta, but I forgot to factor in the 40 minutes preparation time! and had to gobble most of my lunch before takign the minivan for the airport!

Good part of this thread was that it reminded me that I have still not posted my Coron reviews (eek! sacrilegous!) ... I seem to have forgotten all about it, thanks to the other trips made after Coron.

Edited: 7:50 am, March 10, 2013
29. Re: suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Coron