We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many hotels are not online?

Which Coron hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
alberta, canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
How many hotels are not online?

I've just booked my flight and now I'm running into a problem that just about all the places I can find online are full!

Is there a few local places that I might be able to book the day I arrive or should I just book the dregs (unreviewed) from agoda?

I'm not sure if weekends are busier as I'm arriving on a Friday, or if it's just this time of year.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,841 posts
1,983 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many hotels are not online?

There will be quite a few establishments in most medium or larger towns or cities that have yet to construct a website, have Facebook access or anything else that makes it easy to contact them.

Acccommodation in Coron is expanding although on a smaller scale than the huge increase that took place in Puerto Princesa.

I would take the risk and go, then enquire. Finding a room will be easier than you think although you may need to reject some before you find one that is acceptable to you depending on your budget.

February is Chinese New Year.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many hotels are not online?

Hi,

1) LOTS of establishments in the Philippines DO NOT have online booking - MANY don't even have websites (or their websits are woefully ot dated) but they have facebook pages updated every day! (less than 50% are registered with agoda or booking.com - probably just 10% other than these have online booking on their websites)

2) For all of them, that do not have online booking, try sending them an email AND a facebook message (you will be surprised how many of them monitor facebook, but do not check their email!). If you were in Phils, I would have suggested sending them a text too

For example : In Apo Island and Siquijor, all resorts responded promptly to my emails. But in Coron and Vigan, none of the hotels responded to my emails (some had online booking btw) and I had to call them up to confirm!

3) Many of these require an advance payment through bank transfer, but many are also malleable if they realise (after you giving them an explanation) that you cannot do this from abroad. Western Union works well with many. Then there are some that are ok if you just make your booking via email / telephone, and pay the money in cash on arrival

If you could be more specific about the exact place / island where you are looking for resorts hotels, people n this forum will be able to help you better.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How many hotels are not online?

aeb -what type of place /budget are you looking for and what tie of year are you referring to?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,318 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many hotels are not online?

if you are trying an online agent to book a hotel, give up that idea. Most hotels, especially smaller ones have rooms but will look full by online agents/websites that only have one or two rooms allocated. Go direct contact to the hotel.

Also, there are many local hotels that are NOT online at all.

Edited: 4:59 am, February 07, 2013
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,981 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many hotels are not online?

When are you giing to Coron?

alberta, canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many hotels are not online?

Thanks for the replies!

I'm flying into Coron on Feb 15th. I normally wouldn't worry about having a place, but I like to book the first few nights to have a chance to rest up. We will have been travelling about 22hrs by the time we get there and I don't want to have to carry my backpack around looking for a room.

I did finally find one off the list of the sidebar that I could book from it's website 'Coron Eco Lodge', it just doesn't have any reviews yet on tripadvisor.

There was a few others available that had bad reviews and everything else that looked decent was 10 -50 km out of town.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,981 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many hotels are not online?

Feb. 15 is not yet part of the peak season so your chances of finding a hotel without a reservation is very high. I know there are now a few hotels that are newly opened and they are not yet have a web site or even a Facebook page.

Just sit back and relax, don't worry much about accommodation in Coron.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,318 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many hotels are not online?

Feb. 15 and dates leading up to that are busy for Chinese New Year travelers, but that date is at the tail end.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,981 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many hotels are not online?

I agree with leftovertoo. It's good that you will not travel during the Chinese New Year weekend.

alberta, canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many hotels are not online?

Excellent I wan't even aware of the Chinese New Year, I was just trying to avoid being there at Easter.