We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed for planning holiday in October

Which Coron hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marlow
Level Contributor
213 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed for planning holiday in October

Hi folks,

My husband and I are planning a holiday to the Philippines in October. We have booked a flight to Clark and a week up north. We then intend to return to Manila and then make our way to Palawan for about 10 days. Our friends recommended El Nido but this is difficult to get to directly. I was then looking at going via Puerto Princesa but that is then a long drive to El Nido. So wondered about breaking it up and having a few days near Puerto Princesa ( I read about whales and dolphins somewhere!) and then make our way to El Nido. And then someone else said that Coron is nice too. So now thoroughly confused!! We love to swim, snorkel, scuba dive and take boat trips. We particularly like manta rays, dolphins and whales and would LOVE to see a whale shark!! Any advice much appreciated. We aren't on a really tight budget but prefer good value characterful places to stay rather than big resorts that could be anywhere in the world

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,759 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed for planning holiday in October

There are direct flights

Manila-El Nido-Manila via Seair

Manila-Puerto Princesa-Manila via at least 4 airlines

Manila-Busuanga(Coron)-Manila via at least 3 airlines

Busuanga(Coron)-Puerto Princesa-Busuanga(Coron) via AirPhil Express

Seair -->flyseair.com

AirPhil Express --> http://www.airphilexpress.com/

Cebu Pacific Air --> www.cebupacificair.com

Zest Air --> www.zestair.com.ph

Philippine Airlines --> www.philippineairlines.com

The most convenient mode of transportation is by an airplane. As you could see, you could go fly to/from Coron from/to Puerto Princesa.

What you can do is to book either Manila-Puerto Princesa then Puerto Princesa-Coron then Coron-Manila OR

Manila-Puerto Princesa then land travel to El Nido then fly via Seair to Manila. It is really up to you to choose the combination you want, you can mix and match to suite what you prefer.

Even what you choose between the 3 destinations would not really matter. They are all beautiful in their own right.

Edited: 11:17 am, June 28, 2010
2. Re: Help needed for planning holiday in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:34 am, August 04, 2010
Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed for planning holiday in October

Hi I was on a holiday to Palawan last month. I can say it is one of the best places I have been to. I was in Palawan with a group of friends for 7 days.

We stayed at Kookaburra Travel Lodge- this is a new hotel in Puerto Princesa just over a year old. We booked our stay through their website - I saw the good reviews here in tripadvisor for this hotel so we decided to give them a go. They organised all the tours for us. I can say it is one of the nicest and friendliest hotel I have stayed at. It did not seem like a hotel, more like a home for us.

First on our itenary was the famous "underground river" this was a day tour. We weren't disappointent because that place was a amazing.

We also wanted to experience "Honda Bay"- we heard that this place was only 20 mins away from Puerto Princesa. Again the hotel organised the tour for us. The tour was awesome -there are so many islands to go to, heaps to do like snorkling, swimming etc.

Our last few days we decided to go to "El Nido", we weren't disappointed- this place was paradise. We hired a car which cost us 600 pesos per person - this is for 1 way to El Nido only. We booked the car going back to puerto 600 pesos also. I was surprise as the trip was only 5 hours and it did not seem that long,.there was a stop over half way to get breakfast etc.. The road going to El Nido apparently has improved , and it is now all concrete road. Some parts going an hour away to El Nido was abit rough though but it was ok it added to our adventure.

We got there just after lunch, our accomodation was booked by Kookaburra Travel Lodge. The place we stayed at was called "bayview Inn' this is not a hotel nor it was a motel, it was more like a backpackers. This was right in front of the main beach of El Nido- like 2 metres away from the water! And the view from the second floor was amazing.

We were warned not to get the hotel to organise the island hopping but instead hire a boat which we did. It was 1500 pesos for the whole day and we got to choose what islands we went to. Small lagoon and the big lagoon are one of the islands we went to. There are alot of dive sites in El Nido.

I have not experience Coron as yet but I will go there next time i visit palawan. All in all I recommend El Nido as a must see. There are lots of things to explore in El Nido, mountain climbing, snorkling, scuba diving etc. Wish we stayed longer...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,418 posts
1,558 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed for planning holiday in October

dangsky

Every one of your posts you submit promotes El Rio Y Mar resort. Sounds like self promotion or advertising.

Tommo

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
6 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed for planning holiday in October

Coron has a great abundance of marine life and there are plenty of dive resorts in Coron, especially for budget travel.

You can try SEADIVE RESORT because it is located in Coron Town, so at least you can still go elsewhere to eat.

For island tours, I would highly recommend the Malcapuya Loop Tour (…blogspot.com/2010/07/day-three-part-1-4d3n-…) and Coron Island Tour :)

…blogspot.com/2010/08/day-three-part-2-4d3n-…

I hope you get something out from our CORON EXPERIENCE because we truly had an amazing time in CORON.

CORON IS ONE OF THE BEST IN THE PHILIPPINES!!! :)

dubai
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed for planning holiday in October

I will recommend you to get flight from manila direct to puerto princesa via cebu pacific, and stay 2 days in PP to visit tourist attractions like underground river, island hopping near dos palmas, dinning in the city and and visit wet market. Then proceed to El Nido the 3rd day, a 5 hour trip by van from puerto princesa but a little stop in the town of Roxas Palawan for meals before proceeding to El Nido. In Roxas, you can ask the driver to take you to Non La Aromasit Restaurant, originally design to cater for tourist customer, with authentic Vietnamese cuisine, surely you will enjoy the delicious taste in a very relaxing ambiance. No other place in this town offer services with international standard. You won't be dissapointed that you will find such a place in a very remote location. There are two other tourist destination near this town, the port barton and coco loco island but due to your limited time better to proceed to El Nido, which truly an amazing paradise. Explore El Nido maybe 3 days, then go back to Puerto for Coron, ir if you really want an adventure from El nido there are boat going to coron but it will take days also and sometimes not on daily trips.

7. Re: Help needed for planning holiday in October

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, September 03, 2010
Coron, Philippines
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed for planning holiday in October

There are other options to get to El Nido other than a plane. It is possible to take a 6 hour boat trip from Coron there. A nicer way to do that 6 hour boat trip if you're into some adventure is a TAO Philippines 5 day trip between Coron and El Nido (www.taophilippines.com). El Nido to Puerto Princesa can be traversed through van, however the roads are not great.

In Coron, your options are staying in Coron town (Darayonan Lodge, Village Lodge, Tapyas Hotel, Sea Dive recommended). There is the center of the (very little) amount of nightlife in Coron. Staying in Northern Busuanga (El Rio Y Mar or Club Paradise). Or staying in the myriad of resorts outside of town. You can try rustic eco-tourism on a house on stilts at Kubo Sa Dagat near Kingfisher Park (www.kingfisherpark.com) is a one-of-a-kind place close (30 min) away from Coron with a bed & breakfast style feel to it the business helps locals through environmental conservation and jobs. Dive resorts such as Dive Link are ok as well, but the best accessible diving resort is definitely Sangat Island Resort, located within minutes to Coron's many wrecks around Sangat Island (www.sangat.ph). Further out are resorts such as Coral Bay, and a notable new art inspired one is Mangenguey Island (www.mangenguey.com).

All of these resorts have their own tour options, but if you want to try locally run tours out of Coron Town, Corong Galeri Tours has great budget and deluxe options and each tour helps 7 different local families. (www.corongaleri.com.ph)

9. Re: Help needed for planning holiday in October

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 14, 2011