We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at the Grand Waikkian - is car needed?

Maspeth, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
92 reviews
45 helpful votes
Staying at the Grand Waikkian - is car needed?

This will be our first time in Oahu. We will be staying at the GW for 6 nights. I have a car rented ( I can cancel for free) I am just wondering if its really necessary. The parking is about $50 a night. I see that ubers aren't that expensive and that there are trolleys and I can rent a car for a day or two at the property.

Any thoughts???

15 replies to this topic
Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
25 reviews
29 helpful votes
1. Re: Staying at the Grand Waikkian - is car needed?

It depends on your plans, but Honolulu has really good Uber. It's the only island (Oahu) that you don't need a car for the whole time.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
56,321 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Staying at the Grand Waikkian - is car needed?

I always recommend renting a car if you can afford it in your budget. You're going to want to get out and explore this gorgeous island. If you rent a car you can go where you want, when you want and for as long as you want. Sure, Uber and taxi's are available and the price not bad in and around the city. Going outside the city, the prices increase dramatically.

California
Level Contributor
51,734 posts
19 reviews
29 helpful votes
3. Re: Staying at the Grand Waikkian - is car needed?

The trolleys aren't that helpful. Not a good option.

Within the Waikiki/Honolulu area, you can use cabs, Uber and public buses.

But you will want a car to get out and see the gorgeous Island!

My visit last March, I did not rent a car. It was a short trip, and I was staying at a hotel with sky-high parking fees (taxed, BTW). But honestly, the cost of cabs was so awful ... that renting a car would have been a good alternative.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Staying at the Grand Waikkian - is car needed?

I love the Grand Waikkian! You are going to have such a nice trip. We always rent a car. I know the price of parking is high, but it is a great way to see the island at your own pace. There are a lot of restaurants that you can walk to, but to see the rest of the island you would need a car. You can get a rental car from Discount Hawaii Car Rental for around 300 for the week give or take. When you book your car, just keep checking every week because they will come down hundreds of dollars. Then just cancel the other reservation.

Sydney
Level Contributor
36 posts
19 reviews
16 helpful votes
5. Re: Staying at the Grand Waikkian - is car needed?

We never book a car for the full stay in Waikiki. Buses, walking and cabs suffice for around town. Book a car as you need it from the multiple car rental places around Waikiki. It takes a day to trip around Oahu. It might be another day if you go snorkeling somewhere. Save your money, especially the parking!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
322 posts
6. Re: Staying at the Grand Waikkian - is car needed?

I am also tossing this up in my mind. We are staying 9 nights and the parking would be $40 per night. Feels so much more convenient to have a car the whole time, but feels very wasteful if we did not use it every day.

I feel like it will be inconvenient to rent a car for single days. Also, what if we want to use it in the morning, then rest, then use it again later? We would have the parking fee!

The pros and cons are making me crazy!

California
Level Contributor
51,734 posts
19 reviews
29 helpful votes
7. Re: Staying at the Grand Waikkian - is car needed?

Keep in mind that the parking fees are also taxed. (So sorry!)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
39 reviews
13 helpful votes
8. Re: Staying at the Grand Waikkian - is car needed?

We ALWAYS have a car for our whole trip. However if we weren’t including kids, maybe that would be different. But for our visits in the foreseeable future with kids only being 14, 12 and 9 having a car is the only sensible option. I couldn’t stand having to catch a bus / cab / Uber as a family of 5 - having a car means we can go out once, twice, three times or even none at all without any more hassle then requesting the valet to pull it around. And since the valet staff are amongst the best people that we adore chatting to, it is no hassle at all.

Dallas
Level Contributor
29,576 posts
85 reviews
48 helpful votes
9. Re: Staying at the Grand Waikkian - is car needed?

I go for two weeks every year and rent a car for the one or two days we want to use it. We do use the bus for local trip around Waikiki and Honolulu. Hard to beat that for $2 a day for each of us. We walk to most of the places we want to go in Waikiki. Not interested in spending $500 to park a car in the hotel garage plus the rental cost. We use hawaii23 or johnnycabhi to get to and from the airport.

10. Re: Staying at the Grand Waikkian - is car needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:59 pm, June 29, 2019

Reply to: Staying at the Grand Waikkian - is car needed?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted