We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ilikai Marina or Ilikai?

Ben Lomond...
Level Contributor
17 posts
46 reviews
46 helpful votes
Ilikai Marina or Ilikai?

Booking a condo for my small family. Last time we stayed at the Ala Moana and liked it, but didn't love the view over the mall roof so much.

I was looking at the Ilikai Marina, but also considering Ilika for the higher floors and maybe better view?

I've read through the forum but don't see much on Ilikai Marina. Any preference from this group?

21 replies to this topic
Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
3,495 posts
25 reviews
29 helpful votes
1. Re: Ilikai Marina or Ilikai?

My preference is to not be at that end of Waikiki.

Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
2. Re: Ilikai Marina or Ilikai?

I would book at the Ilikai instead of the Ilikai Marina. The Ilikai Marina is more of a residential building and it does not have the amenities that you will have at The Ilikai. The Ilikai has 2 pools, a sun deck, a large open air lobby, an outdoor courtyard overlooking the Marina, a convenience store, a coffee shop and Cinnacons Restaurant all on-sight. The Ilikai Marina has none of those things.

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
62,606 posts
442 reviews
777 helpful votes
3. Re: Ilikai Marina or Ilikai?

There are about 80 properties in Waikiki. How did it come down to these two?

Without knowing the age of your kids, budget and what you are looking for...... the Waikiki Shore, Waikiki Banyan, Waikiki Sunset and Regency on Beachwalk are all condos I'd look at before either of those two.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
56,347 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Ilikai Marina or Ilikai?

The Ilikai Marina does have 2 restaurants on site. Both are very good!! I've never stayed at either property. If I was looking for a condo I would be looking at the Waikiki Shores.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
361 reviews
466 helpful votes
5. Re: Ilikai Marina or Ilikai?

I agree with Eight oh Eight

My partner and I love that end of Waikiki and enjoy the walk into the centre of Waikiki and the walk along the beach. It is also a short walk to Ala Moana Shopping Centre

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
167 reviews
118 helpful votes
6. Re: Ilikai Marina or Ilikai?

We stayed at Ilikai Marina and loved the location. We had a condo overlooking the marina, however the lanai was on the small side. They do have a couple of restaurants on site including the Harbour Pub which has a great happy hour. We walked over to the Duke Kahanamoku lagoon for a swim and the condo had a great view of the fireworks.

Edited: 3:13 am, June 19, 2019
Ben Lomond...
Level Contributor
17 posts
46 reviews
46 helpful votes
7. Re: Ilikai Marina or Ilikai?

I'm not locked in to just these two and appreciate the suggestions, but I do like being down at that end of Waikiki. A little less noisy, easier to get out of the traffic. When I first started visiting in the late 90s we stayed at the Moana Surfrider and Sheraton princess, but since my son came along I prefer a condo. Last time we were there I saw the Ilikai and thought that might be a better choice than the Ala Moana, so thought I'd ask.

I'm trying to stay around 200 / night, and am there for 4 nights before heading to Kauai.

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
62,606 posts
442 reviews
777 helpful votes
8. Re: Ilikai Marina or Ilikai?

Because of the traffic coming into Waikiki and the lack of a beach, I'd never stay at that end on vacation, especially not the Ilikai. I have stayed at the Prince Hotel on short business trips if Halekulani doesn't have the rooms I like available. If I wanted a condo, Waikiki Shore would be my first pick, Waikiki Beach Tower second or maybe one of the condo towers at HHV. For budget considerations, the Waikiki Banyan would be my first pick. Ala Moana Blvd is just too busy for me in front of the Ilikai. Not sure why so many Australians love it so, other than it is what their friends tell them about.

Kem
South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
441 posts
32 reviews
29 helpful votes
9. Re: Ilikai Marina or Ilikai?

We’ve booked a condo in the Ilikai for October through Waikiki Beach Rentals - lots of choice and prices very reasonable. Location not really a consideration for us, we enjoy walking. I did look at condos in the Ilikai marina too but as others have said you don’t get the facilities and I like to have a pool etc.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
361 reviews
466 helpful votes
10. Re: Ilikai Marina or Ilikai?

I found The Ilikai 5 years ago through research and Tripadvisor reviews. The rate for a condo booking through Waikiki Beach Rentals was a fraction of the hotel rate and no resort fees. I like the location, big studio style condo, the magnificent views and there is also enough beach there for me. I also like the great Happy hour at the nearby Harbor Pub. The main Waikiki hotel chain I see advertised in package deals in Australia is The Outrigger, and the resort fees are printed in the advertisement in fine print.

Edited: 11:25 pm, June 19, 2019
Reply to: Ilikai Marina or Ilikai?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted