We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sisters traveling to Porquerolles Island June 7-11 2014

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sisters traveling to Porquerolles Island June 7-11 2014

Hi there,

My sister and I are traveling to Porquerolles Island (open to other suggestions) this year from June 7-11 (dates are semi-flexible). We have booked via air b n b to stay in Nice from the 31st to the 5th and our goal is to make it to Porquerolles before we need to catch a flight back to Paris on the 12th. We are having a difficult time finding affordable lodging. Any advice on how to best swing this locale for two adventurous 20-something women would be great!

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sisters traveling to Porquerolles Island June 7-11 2014

Porquerolles is lovely, but exclusivity doesn't come cheap. You could try the campsite (which also has trailer-type accommodation) just on the mainland side of the ferry terminal at La Tour Fondue or look for alternatives on the Giens Peninsula or around Hyeres, which is the nearest town.

This is the campsite page on the local tourist office website:

hyeres-tourism.co.uk/plan-your-trip/accommod…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sisters traveling to Porquerolles Island June 7-11 2014

Thank you, that is hugely helpful. It seems like staying on the mainland for a few days and taking boats to the island for day trips is the cheapest/best bet?

Thanks!

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sisters traveling to Porquerolles Island June 7-11 2014

The fare for the shortest ferry crossing from La Tour Fondue is Euro 19.50 return. You may have visited the Porquerolles tourist office website already but, if not, it's here:

porquerolles.com/accueil/…

Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sisters traveling to Porquerolles Island June 7-11 2014

Hi

Since you have 5 nights in total, why not spend one night in Porquerolles and the others around Hyères/Giens Peninsula/beyond? It's a different experience to spend an evening in the little port as the sun sets, to wake up in the island, not be rushed and have the time to walk or bike on the nature trails around different parts of the island, to its lighthouse, to its fort ruins, to its many gorgeous beaches.

One way not to spend too much on Porquerolles is to bring your own packed lunch & water or just grab a baguette and cheese/fruit/whatever from the little bakery and grocery store around Place des Armes. I find the restaurants there sort of tired from summer hordes, average at best on food and pricey (never tried the classy Mas des Langoustier or more exclusive restaurants).

Many visitors love to get around the protected island on a bike. You do get to reach places faster on wheels. Lots of outfits offer to rent cycles at the port, as you get off the ferry. I'm biased as a long-time hiker, but I prefer to walk around the island. The sand can get in the way of cycling as you get closer to the beaches, and you have to worry about leaving the bike in the bike racks while you head to the beaches. Plus you have more time to soak in the sites on foot.

Given the number of bikes, I'm clearly a minority point of view but I thought I would mention the pros & cons.

As for where to stay, I have once stayed at l'Oustaou in April. Because it was off-season with few customers, we talked our way to a reasonable price. Our room was very basic, but the location terrific. You can go through the hotel & b&b reviews on TripAdvisor to get a feel for what else is possible.

A bit of a lengthy message, but Porquerolles is such a magical place with its nature trails & beaches.

Good idea to visit!

Enjoy!

AzurAlive.com

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sisters traveling to Porquerolles Island June 7-11 2014

Hi

I just want to jump on with another question for AzurAlive if thats ok. Spending 8 days in Provence with my partner and trying to plan out the last few days. Had a day earmarked for going to Ile de Porquerolles but have seen ferry prices are around €25 return per person and so not sure if worth it? Will be coming from Cassis and have a full day there planned for exploring the Calanques. Is it worth going to Ile de Porquerolles as a day trip (particularly if have spent previous day in Calanques)? Planning to stay in Bormes de Mimosas that night so we would be driving from Cassis, getting ferry to ile de Porquerolles for a few hours and then back to the mainland and driving to Bormes Des Mimosa, worth doing? would appreciate all thoughts. Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
3,957 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sisters traveling to Porquerolles Island June 7-11 2014

I love Porquerolles but I wouldn't travel all that way from Cassis tbh. The connections lose you so much time, it's not really worth it. You're better off spending a day in Marseille or even Aix.

7. Re: Sisters traveling to Porquerolles Island June 7-11 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, September 10, 2016