We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ajanta caves

Brisbane
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Ajanta caves

The caves look REALLY interesting but I'm wondering if there is enough to do if one is to fly in to Aurangabad from Mumbai?

I would appreciate any information about how to spend a week or more in this part of the world.

I'd also like to know of any 'must see' places.

Recommendations of 4 / 5 star hotels would also be appreciated.

Many thanks,

John (Brisbane)

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ajanta caves

Dear Peritas2,

Ajanta will take one full day and Ellora will need one day for sight seeing. One day will go in seeing Daulatabad fort, Bibika makbara, Museum

On the way back you can visit Nashik which is known as wine district if you are interested in Indian wines and wineries. There is a old temple of Lord Shiva, built in black stone and with beautiful carvings etc. at Trimbakeshwar near Nashik.

Taj Residency in Aurangabad is the best hotel.

I will suggest you may consider taking Deccan Odyssey tour which takes over a week and covers many points in a luxurious manner.

try the website : http://www.deccan-odyssey-india.com

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
37,682 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ajanta caves

peritas2

You may try Mumbai (Elephanta) - Aurangabad (Ajanta/Ellora) - Lonavala - Matheran - Mumbai in week.

This itinerary would be a combination of Caves and Hill Stations of Maharashtra.

Edited: 2:33 am, December 19, 2011
Brisbane
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ajanta caves

Thank you so much.

John

Brisbane
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ajanta caves

Thank you so much.

John

5. Re: Ajanta caves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, November 19, 2015