We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drivers in Zhangye / Xining

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
6 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Drivers in Zhangye / Xining

We're looking to hire a private driver for a party of 3 in May to spend one day taking our group to visit the danxia landforms in Zhangye (at 3 different sites) and then to drive us Haiyan County the following day. Does anyone have any tips/contacts for a driver in this area?

4 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,766 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drivers in Zhangye / Xining

We just asked our hotel when we got there. No driver will speak english there.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
6 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drivers in Zhangye / Xining

My husband and I both speak adequate Chinese so that's no problem, we're just having difficulty locating any drivers in the area. Did your hotel provide you a driver for only the local area (Zhangye / Linze County) or did you go further out?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,766 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drivers in Zhangye / Xining

We went to the Danxia lanforms and the next day to the Mati Temple area. I guess the driver will take you wherever you want to go for a price.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,752 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drivers in Zhangye / Xining

I set something up with the taxi driver that I used from Zhangye rail station to center of town. Negotiated rate, paid upon return to Zhangye, Xining I just flagged down a taxi on the street--he couldn't leave Xining city due to shift change/time issues, but asked if I'd be willing to be handed off to his private car which his wife would drive, and bring me back. Negotiated rate, paid upon return to Xining. Both times worked out great, but definitely need Mandarin speaking ability to pull off.

Reply to: Drivers in Zhangye / Xining
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zhangye