We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bento Goncalves to Porto Alegre

Lafayette...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Bento Goncalves to Porto Alegre

I was planning to rent a car in Porto Alegre and drive to an inn near Bento Goncalves. My local host in Porto Alegre has cautioned me that this might not be advisable. Any thoughts on this? What about bus transportation? Where can I get a schedule?

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bento Goncalves to Porto Alegre

for bus schedule and prices, look up the Unesul bus line website.

you will notice that Bento Gonçalves is an intermediate stop on lines going farther away.

on the link below, enter Bento Gonçalves as the destination and the daily schedule will come up:

http://www.unesul.com.br/sistemas/ngs/ngs.htm

as for not driving... many os us tend to discourage non-locals from doing it... road conditions, driving habits, lack of communication in portuguese, etc may make it much more complicated than tourists assume.

Lafayette...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bento Goncalves to Porto Alegre

Thanks so much for your very helpful answer. This will be my first trip to Brazil. I have driven in many other countries, but not in South America.

Lafayette...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bento Goncalves to Porto Alegre

I have looked at the bus schedule from Bento Goncalves to Porto Alegre and note that the buses leave at 3 or 4 AM and then later in the afternoon (too late to catch my flight). I can be an early riser, but preferably not that early. . . Any ideas for shuttle/car services? I don't mind spending some money if it saves me from a pre-dawn bus ride.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bento Goncalves to Porto Alegre

there is another company that plies that route with more frequent service.

this is the website for the bus station in bento gonçalves, with the schedules for all bus companies:

http://www.rodoviariabento.com.br/

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bento Goncalves to Porto Alegre

an additional tip:

i suggest that when you arrive in the bento gonçalves bus station, you go directly to the ticket booth for this other company (Bento Transportes) and purchase your return ticket.

info on websites may be somewhat outdated.

if you dont speak portuguese, ask someone beforehand to write down on a piece of paper that you want to buy a ticket from X to Y on such date and such time. it is unlikely that people at the tkt counter speak english.

also, make sure you allow enough time to go from Porto Alegre bus station to the airport.

btw, i remember that from some other towns there were some buses that would stop at the Porto Alegre airport too, but I dont know if that is the case for buses coming from bento gonçalves.

Lafayette...
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bento Goncalves to Porto Alegre

Thanks for all this very useful information. My Portuguese is very limited and my knowledge of the country is even more limited. It is very helpful to have some insider tips!

7. Re: Bento Goncalves to Porto Alegre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, July 17, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Bento Goncalves
Recent Conversations