We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can it be done: crete/santorini/mykonos in one day by ferry?

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Topic
can it be done: crete/santorini/mykonos in one day by ferry?

my husband , our 9 yr old and i are going to greece at the end of july.. after athens, this is our plan: we fly from athens to crete on august 4th, spend 2 nights there, and on the 6th we would like to take a ferry to santorini, (i know there's a 9 45 departure) but i would like to leave santorini that day around 5pm? is there a ferry , or should i just try to fly to mykonos? and where is the best area/town to stay in each island? we are laid back, like to be able to walk to places, and prefer smaller non-chain hotels...

if it gets to complicated, we will spend the night in santorini, and just leave in the morning to mykonos....

any an all suggestions are greatly appreciated!! and if you have off the beaten path ideas, please do share! :)

thank you for your help!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can it be done: crete/santorini/mykonos in one day by ferry?

I suppose it can be. If everything goes right the 945 ferry will get you there by noon. You could have lunch in fira and catch the 14:30 ferry to mykonos.

There are no direct flights from santorini to mykonos, they all go through athens. there is one that leaves at 830pm but gets you to mykonos the next morning because of a layover.

Me thinks it might be a night in Santorini for you guys. Which isnt the worst thing in the world if you think about it... :-P

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
556 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can it be done: crete/santorini/mykonos in one day by ferry?

You say you are laid back... but you are only spending two nights on Crete. That is just one full day! Crete is like a country in its own right - it is big and there is so much to see.

Honestly, I don't think it is worth all the hassle of packing/unpacking, travelling to/from airports and port for one full day. Either spend ALL your time on Crete, or cut it out completely.

And just remember that you've chosen the two most popular islands in Greece (Santorini & Mykonos) at the busiest time of year (early August). Anywhere "off the beaten path", will most likely have lots of other people looking for the same thing!

Edited: 12:15 am, May 28, 2014
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,490 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can it be done: crete/santorini/mykonos in one day by ferry?

Unless you have a compelling reason to visit Crete, I agree with Ann, it's just not worth it for one day.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can it be done: crete/santorini/mykonos in one day by ferry?

Hi,

You lightning quick short stay timetable suggests you are far from 'laid back'. Then you want 'off the beaten path'. All very contradictory.

There are essentially no chain hotels in those islands.

It is difficult when you don't give even minimal details like length of stay.

There are around 40 accessible Greek Islands out of Piraeus/Athens, the last choice would be Mykonos/Santorini in the 'off the beaten path' style bin.

There are such possibilities but maybe long ferry journies, infrequent ferries, unsociable arrival time, only basic accommodation at the end.

You need a basic re-think in conjunction with a scale map of the Aegean Sea. All islands you see of any size population on the map can be reached by ferry, some by flying.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can it be done: crete/santorini/mykonos in one day by ferry?

openseas which is the very reliable creek ferry timetable will confirm the ferry times .

I would suggest crete to santorini would be possible but the blue star ferry from santorini to Mykonos is limited to 1 ferry a day in each direction calling at syros first and would mean if you wanted to do Santorini and Mykonos in the day all the enjoyment would have gone from a very tiring trip as the ferry covers at least another 3 islands on route which takes around 4 hours minimum

Flights to any greek island from crete would usually involve a Flight into Athens first.

Aegean Airways and Olympic are now merged so check either website for flight info which are the two main creek airlines or skyscanner will probably come up with the info.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can it be done: crete/santorini/mykonos in one day by ferry?

Hi,

I read your message again and think personally you may want to look up the matt barrett Greece website for ideas of Greece and a full rundown of what the greek isles are about along with lots of ideas of places and islands to visit and information to form an itinerary based on your Family interests in this fantastic country.

Its a long flight from Texas so I would think its imperative you get all the information you need for a successful and enjoyable trip.

As others have said Crete is a big area and most visitors stay a week minimum to relax and enjoy .

Mykonos is for the young party goers and its neighbour Syros is untouched original Greece with cobbled streets and to a degree a pure way of life with local greek people and customs.

I have visited Greece many years but only you can gather information and build an itinerary based on your personal interest as I said earlier.

Any further info supplied with pleasure.

ps theirs a daily Blue Star Ferry from Athens calling at Mykonos ,Syros, Paros, Naxos ending at Santorini

7. Re: can it be done: crete/santorini/mykonos in one day by ferry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 04, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Koutouloufari
Recent Conversations