We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marni Village and surround areas - slopes/hills

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Marni Village and surround areas - slopes/hills

We are looking to book the Marni Village in July and we are a little worried about the slopes in and out of the resort. We will be travelling with my dad (73yo) and he is not as nimble as he used to be. The reviews recommend a lower-level room in the resort, but what are the hills like up and down to the villages/beach - we will eat out a lot.

Should I be concerned?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marni Village and surround areas - slopes/hills

Short answer is, if you intend to stay in Koutouloufari (KTLF), probably not, but if you intend to walk to the sea/new Hersonissos, yes.

The '3 villages' of KTLF, Piskopiano and old Hersonissos are, from memory, more or less at the same level, although there is a slight incline between Marni and the centre of KTLF, and old Hersonissos is a bit higher than the other 2. But the roads down into Hersonissos are of varying gradients. The shallowest one is probably the first one you pass heading towards the centre of KTLF from Marni, leading down to near Star Beach, but it is also (of course) the longest, doesn't take you into the centre of Hersonissos, and even that is pretty steep at the end nearest KTLF, between the junction and the cemetery. Bear in mind that KTLF is about 75m above sea level.

Taxi would seem to be your best bet, definitely a taxi back up at least.

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marni Village and surround areas - slopes/hills

Wonderful - thanks Steve

Level Contributor
35 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marni Village and surround areas - slopes/hills

Hi there

Last year I travelled to Koutouloufari and Marni village with my 74yr Mum. If you read my review from June. Your dad sould be fine, it's fairly steep in paces around the resort and a low rise apartment is a benefit ours was just perfect, and I think the main issue is the intense heat as you are away from the sea which can be a bother as those small slopes are a challenge. The walk to the supermarket and village is as said before on the flat so is just fine.

Happy to supply further tips and information?

Have a fab holiday.. we are going to Elounda in May followed by 3 nights at the Diktynna in Koutlouloufari so looking forward to it.

4. Re: Marni Village and surround areas - slopes/hills

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 18, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Koutouloufari