We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitoes etc?

accrington
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
mosquitoes etc?

Arriving on the 29th and must say I can't wait. Staying at the Astra Village apartments for seven nights. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the mosquito situation is like? Also a rough idea on prices ie: a beer or decent bottle of wine, large bottle of water, maybe average price to eat out. In fact any info would be appreciated, as we've never been to Crete before.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitoes etc?

Hi we have been to Koutouloufari in June for several years and have not had a problem with mosquitoes, we do take precautions using a repellent as it is the same as anywhere these days. There is a lovely bar at the Astra a large beer is 3.5 euro slightly cheaper beer is found in other small bars like the dionnyssis . The local wine is very cheap in restaurants and we find it very pleasant a meal can be 20 to35 euro. We always enjoy the greek plate for 2 for 20euro in Esperos next to the Astra. Water is cheap in a pack of 6 large bottles.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitoes etc?

Hi there

If you do want the local barrel wine then it is sold by the jug, so 0.5 litre, 1 litre etc... it around 4 - 5 euros per 0.5 litre and as KandPaul says it usually very good :- )

If you want to eat cheap then eat meze which is how the local eat, you wont see them eating a starter and a main course, and its so much lighter to eat this way especially in the heat.

In all tavernas you will see a list of warm and cold appetizers from this list you choose 4 - 5 plates of different food, this is brought to your table all together and everyone shares the plates....its a lovely way to eat and means that you get to experience lots of different types of food...and try new dishes :-) these small plates of food are around 3 - 6 euros each depending on what you choose to eat.

accrington
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitoes etc?

Thanks for your replies and advice, really appreciate it.

Ashton-in-Makerfield...
Level Contributor
76 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitoes etc?

Sarah, if you are prone to mosquito bites, I would say get some repellant. I have been going to Koutouloufari for over 10 years, and sometimes get bitten and sometimes i dont. Better safe that sorry. There's nothing worse than scratching all night, and having your lovely suntan spoiled by big red lumps, lol.

We are going tomorrow, so will be there when you are. Might bump into you in the Astra Bar, where we usually have a drink before we go out to eat

5. Re: mosquitoes etc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Koutouloufari