We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash/Banks/Paying in Koutouloufari

C3i
Cheshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Cash/Banks/Paying in Koutouloufari

Hi, Can anyone advise what the best option for paying in Restaurants etc is in Koutouloufari - and is there an ATM/bank round about?

Just trying to decide if to get a loaded card, withdraw cash there or take euros.

Thanks if you can help.

Caroline

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,039 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash/Banks/Paying in Koutouloufari

Generally for Greece:

Greek banks don't charge for using the ATMs. Using a common card (like Visa, MasterCard etc.) you will get their rates for the day of the withdrawal - usually a good rate following the market.

We live in a modern world where cards and ATMs are the most common way to get money when needed. Greece is also a modern country, and it should be no difference from what you do at home.

Bring enough Euros to last you for the first couple of days, then use ATMs for withdrawals as you go.

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
214 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash/Banks/Paying in Koutouloufari

Hi as fafr as we are aware there are no ATM's in Koutouloufari, you need to go down to Hersonissos to the banks there plenty on the main raod through Hersonissos. The restaurants prefer you to pay in cash.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
313 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash/Banks/Paying in Koutouloufari

There are definitely no ATMs in Koutouloufari. If you walk down the hill near the jewellery shop into Hersonissos, there is an Empiriki Bank on the left corner with an ATM outside and there are other banks further along the road.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
313 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash/Banks/Paying in Koutouloufari

Should have added, we returned from Koutouloufari a couple of weeks ago and we got a better rate for the euro in the UK than in Crete.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash/Banks/Paying in Koutouloufari

Glad i read that, i am just back from Malta and was getting 1.25 to the pound. Am going to Crete on the 7th August and i was just going to take stirling.

C3i
Cheshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash/Banks/Paying in Koutouloufari

Thanks very much! Hope you had a good stay, we are staying at Sunrise Apts, I think you have been - any particular handy hints for us (family with 2 kids aged 10 and 6).. Thanks anyway!

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
313 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash/Banks/Paying in Koutouloufari

We did stay at the Sunrise and loved it so much we have already booked to go back next year.

My nephews are 9 and 7. The pool, park and pool table are all near to each other, so you will be able to keep an eye on the children.

The BBQ is a great night, from the food to the dancing. We all loved it and went both weeks if our holidays.

Watercity is great for kids of all ages, and if you book it in the tour operators near the supermarket past the Esperides, you will be picked up in the village and not down in Hersonissos as was the case in previous years.

Finally, if you are buying food/drink for your apartment, the supermarkets in Hersonissos are cheaper (but you will have to lug your shopping up the hill).

C3i
Cheshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash/Banks/Paying in Koutouloufari

Ah I can't wait to get there! Thanks for the info much appreciated. Caroline

Pontypridd
Level Contributor
461 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash/Banks/Paying in Koutouloufari

Caroline

We too have recently returned from Koutouloufari. I think you'll find that quite a number of the restaurants will accept credit cards, although they don't advertise the fact. I also found the exchange rate when paying this way was good (1.26/1.27).

While there you might find that you and your children will enjoy a visit to Aquaworld in Hersonissos. This isn't the big Crete Aquarium but more of a rescue centre. You can get to it by following the road down from the village to Hersonissos at the Windmill restaurant. It's 6 Euros to enter (4 for children) and you can re-visit for free. If you haven't a phobia you can get up close and personal with a range of snakes and reptiles. Enjoy your visit. Like many others we've already re-booked for next year.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash/Banks/Paying in Koutouloufari

What was the exchange rate for cash (sterling) i was getting 1.25 in Malta, but the ATM at Belfast airport gave me 1.15.

Get answers to your questions about Koutouloufari