We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great week

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Great week

Just returned from a week staying at the Astra Village and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The apartment was good, clean and tidy. Plenty of room round the pool for sunbathing and plenty of sunbeds.

The village was delightful with its houses, restaurants and shops more like a town. Plenty of choices to eat wished we were staying longer as only sampled a small few and did not have a bad experience at any.

Our favourite was Galini which is a must. It is left out of the apts and looks roman with its decor, waitress's dressed in the style and it is an absolute wonderful experience which you don't expect. Service is great, presentation is an art and food excellent. It was like been at the theatre and the price was good. Highly recommend, very popular so would probably need to reserve a table when it gets busier.

Also recommend Nickos the Fisher which is further along different experience, food excellent, recommend the Bream and Cretan dish which was his mothers dish. Opposite, Pithari Tavern had a great meal there, Beef Stifado was delicious, beautiful sauce, and chicken soulvaki both cooked well.

If you go right out of apts there was Mezes ( Alex and Christine) family run. Recommend the grill meals and mezes.

Patriko Taverna we had the Greek plate and Mixed fishes both excellent and last but not least Romantica Taverna which also recommend..

We also ate in Hersonnisos and plesantly surprised by what I had read on here. We had a lovely greek meal at the Acropolis, beautiful sardines in a light batter and again would recommend.

It is quite a walk back up but the little train does go up to Old Hersonnisos and then its a flatter walk.

We also hired a car from Orion Cars turn right out of apts and was pleased with service. 30 euros/day.

So all in all wonderful holiday and will be going back as plenty more of Crete to explore.

sligo
Level Contributor
668 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Great week

Hi Chris,

Nice report, well written. I see on your reviews you were up at the Dikteon cave, I am hoping to pay it a visit early October.

It is always nice to hear about the positives ( especially in todays climate ) and also great to hear you enjoyed your holiday so much will be heading back to Crete sometime.

Thanks again

Bobo

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great week

Hi Chris.I have PM'd you but thought that if I posted here someone else may know the answer ( I have also e-mailed the hotel but no reply as yet)....................

Does anyone know which is 'studio 2' ??

We stayed at the Astra around 4-5 years ago and also had a great time but I think the complex may have grown a little since then.

The small block that we were in was beyond the second swimming pool and had great views out to sea but some blocks were enclosed and nearer to the road........These wouldn't suit us as well as we like to be quietly on the edge of things.

Any replies gratefully received. :O) :O)

cumbria
Level Contributor
105 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great week

Hi,

I was just reading your post about the Astra we have stopped there a lot of times in most parts of the complex I agree you dont want the studios on the front which can be very noisey.We have also stayed in the block that you mentioned which does have great veiws but if its the ones with a roof top terrace on I would not recommend these they have been broken into a lot of times as it is easy to get on to balcony.Yhe best ones we found are in the block next to this we had studio no.82 which is on the top has great veiws and is very secure.If you do get one where peaple could get on to the balcony dont sleep with the doors open make sure they are well locked at night.Hope I havent put you off as it is a lovely place to stay with very freindly owners.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
808 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great week

I can vouch for that advice as we were burgled on only our 2nd night at the Astra last week. Its a pity I didn' t notice any comments about breakins on the reviews before we went, as it would have saved us and another couple from a horrible experience. Even after the event they wouldn't let us change rooms, so I didn't find them helpful either.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great week

Thanks to you all for your replies......................

I fear some confusion...The accom that I have seen is called

ASTRA VILLAGE APPTS STUDIOS 2

I took this to mean that a particular block was now called Sudios 2 and not a particular room.

Terrible about the break ins. A sign of the times I'm afraid and not just confined to this resort.

I'm reading more and more about theft problems on several forums.

It is such a shock after years of never having to worry about security issues wherever we were in Greece.

cumbria
Level Contributor
105 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great week

Hi

I think these studios are anew block that was built about two year ago they are very nice and look over the swimming pool I dont know if these are in briucher are you have to book privatley as when they were first built the owner Elener was renting out herself which would probably be cheaper as you can get cheap flights now to crete.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great week

Thanks Spangle...At the moment they are coming up much cheaper on a package from up here in the North than when booked independently ( even with low cost airlines)

'Overlooking the pool' would not do for me, I'm afraid. I love my sea view so may have to think again.

Ah well back to the drawing board............. :O {

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great week

I would like to say that we heard about the burglaries when we were there. We were told the one guy had left his door unlocked and feel you need to make sure your doors are locked at night and use the safe provided. As we were on the ground floor could of been us. It happened at night and they were only interested in the cash from what we heard.

9. Re: Great week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 31, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Koutouloufari