We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion Asked for Safari from Mwanza to Arusha in Feb

Which Mwanza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestion Asked for Safari from Mwanza to Arusha in Feb

I and my wife is planning for a 5-day camping safari from Mwanza to Arusha in mid-Feb. We have safari experience in Kenya about 10 years ago. Is 5 day enough for Seregeti, Mayara, Ngorongoro and Tagangire? Any suggestion on agency and how much for this?

11 replies to this topic
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,901 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion Asked for Safari from Mwanza to Arusha in Feb

I dont think 5 days are enough. You will be rushing all over the place driving all day without seeing much.

There are operators who specilaise in Mwanza ( Lake Victoria) trips a good search will find them also 4th post down among the Top Questions top right hand corner will give you more operators than you need.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion Asked for Safari from Mwanza to Arusha in Feb

If 5 days are not enough, do you think that 7 days are good? We are still flexible for 5-7 days, but budget is our consideration. I asked 2 company for quote, one quoted USD1420 for 5 days and the other one quoted USD1700 for 6 days. This looks very expensive to me.

I am looking at the list you suggested.

3. Re: Suggestion Asked for Safari from Mwanza to Arusha in Feb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:35 am, January 10, 2013

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,333 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion Asked for Safari from Mwanza to Arusha in Feb

You are travelling very high season and organizing late in the game, so it might be difficult to get a low price trip.

Are you and the operator thinking the same about what camping is? Are these small pup tents that are set up every move, with your own cook and guide, or are these tented camps, which are more pricey? Also, is the quote per person, or the combined price?

Remember park fees themselves are expensive for these parks. There is no getting around that.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,901 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion Asked for Safari from Mwanza to Arusha in Feb

Jimmy L -it is impossible to compare the costs or comment on them without knowing where you are staying- different types of accomodations can vary the price considerably- luxury lodge, 2 man tent, tent with an ensuite. A lodge at Karatu is far cheaper than one at the Crater itself.

The cheaper quote could very well have you staying outside the park or in a camp or lodge that is no where near the wildlife. You could be in the North when you should be central or West. There was a similiar example today in another trip - a completly inappropriate camp for the time the poster was travelling.

Please post the whole itinerary and then you will get a more balanced view of costs.

Edited: 7:31 am, January 02, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestion Asked for Safari from Mwanza to Arusha in Feb

Here are the quotes I got, here may not be enough information to justify the cost that

I have to further ask.

For the $2840 for 2 persons 5-Day safari,

Day 1: Drive from Mwanza to Serengeti for game drives,

stay overnight at the Campsite.

Day 2: Full day game drives in Serengeti, stay overnight.

Day 3: Morning game drives, then drive to Ngorongoro, game drives in the Crater,

stay overnight at Simba Campsite.

Day 4: Drive from Ngorongoro to Lake Manyara for game drives,

stay overnight at the campsite.

Day 5: Morning game drives, after lunch drive to Arusha

This package is inclusive of the following

1. Park fees in Serengeti & Ngorongoro

2. Camping fees for four nights/two in Serengeti & two in Ngorongoro

3. All meals during the Safari

4. Camping gear( Canvas Tent, Mattress, Sleeping Bags, Table & Chairs, lights,

5. mineral water 1 liter/person/day.

6. Transport with all game drives for five days up to Arusha.

7. An experienced Driver/ Guide

For the $1770 per person 6-Day safari,

Day 1: met in Mwanza early today by our guide for the remainder of the safari, we then depart

for the Serengeti national perk for dinner an overnight within our Public Standard Camp

within Seronera

Day 2: this morning we depart for Ndutu with picnic lunch game viewing in Seronera en route,

dinner and overnight at our Full Service Camp.

Day 3 : Full day exploring the Serengeti, either with picnic lunch or early morning and late

afternoon game drive and lunch in camp. Dinner and overnight within camp.

Day 4: This morning depart for Ngorongoro with picnic lunch, game viewing in the crater with

picnic lunch, dinner and overnight at Simba campsite on the crater rim.

Day 5: Early this morning there is a chance for a trek on the crater rim area with one of the

NCAA guides, before heading to Manyara to spend the rest of the day game viewing with

picnic lunch. Late afternoon we head to Ol Tukai Manyara for dinner and overnight.

Day 6: After breakfast this morning we depart for Tarangire National Park to spend the rest of

the day Game viewing after lunch we depart for Arusha arrivning around 18hr30

The camping in Ndutu is what we call the “full service” which is the large 6m x 3m "East African " style tents with en suite shower and toilet, proper beds and bedding, a mess tent, and usually set up in a private campsite.

the camps are meant to be mobile.

Sorry for the long message listing out what the tour operators sent to me. Also, I found

that 5-Day is definitely not enough for the parks.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,333 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestion Asked for Safari from Mwanza to Arusha in Feb

With those few days, and the time of year, I would try to focus on Serengeti/Ndudu area and Ngoro Crater. Maybe one last day in Tarangire before a late arrival in Arusha.

Reality is that you will be charged to get their driver and vehicle to Mwanza to pick you up, and then get that vehicle back to whereever it started from.

The camping in Ndutu is what is driving up your costs, as it is a 'tented camp' as opposed to a pup tent variety. There are very few public sites in the prime area where you can get the lower cost basic camping sites.

Also, Ol Tukai is a tented camp as well, so again, costs are up. However, these are the company's own lodging so they will give you as good a price as you can get elsewhere.

Also, this is very late in the day to try and get a basic camping only safari for February. Accommodation is just full up.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestion Asked for Safari from Mwanza to Arusha in Feb

I'm asking for any option to have basic camp, this may be a big saving.

Actually, I will arrive enter Tanzania from Kigali. This is why I choose to start at Mwanza. If operator charges for driver and vehicle to Mwanza, is this a good idea to go from Kigali to Arusha, and start safari from Arusha? It is obviously a long way from Kigali to Arusha, though.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,333 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestion Asked for Safari from Mwanza to Arusha in Feb

Most likely no savings getting to Arusha to start. it costs about $250 or less for car and driver for one day. Keep to the current plan and accept the cost. It is more efficient than trying to get to Arusha. Come back with the quote for basic, if available.

10. Re: Suggestion Asked for Safari from Mwanza to Arusha in Feb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, January 28, 2013

Reply to: Suggestion Asked for Safari from Mwanza to Arusha in Feb
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted