We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR _Niarobi_overnight then Mwanza Feb 2011

Which Mwanza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Preston
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
LHR _Niarobi_overnight then Mwanza Feb 2011

Hi I'm quite a frequent traveller but never to Africa as a lone female until my connecting flight to Mwanza I'm in need of some heads up

My Questions are in two parts. Me as a flyer and then concerns over the travel plans of my group.

Me and my questions.

I'm flying in on BA and staying overnight at Panari Hotel and then picking up a Precision flight to Mwanz in the morning. My plan is to meet my group at the departure gate of the Precision flight.

1) How long should I expect to clear immigration and any tips on moving through any quicker?

2) Is a flight to Mwanza from NBO classed as Domestic or International and should I expect any problems checking in as a result of the stop overnight?

The Group.

They are flying KLM into Niarobi arriving at 7am and then connecting to the same Precision flight as me at 8.25am. !!!!!

I think this is madness and a high risk that they will miss their connecting flight. What do you think????/ where will they do immigration? At Niarobi or Mwanza??

Looking forward to your replies guys!!!!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,846 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LHR _Niarobi_overnight then Mwanza Feb 2011

I can answer part only.

1) inbound you should be through Immigration and re-united with your luggage within 40 -50 minutes. You will need a Transit Visa, cost about $15, for the overnight stay. Have your visa application pre-filled on the plane (down load at home). Smile a lot.

Tomorrow.

2) Mwanza is in Tanzania so its an International flight. No problems with outbound emigration who will just stamp your exit visa in your Passport. Check in as normal. NB. You WILL need a Yellow Fever Certificate so bring it with you or get one fast if you have not had the jab in the last ten years!

The group. Will they won't they make the dance. KLM are fairly efficient and punctual so that's a plus. They will just do "transit' at JKIA as they are not entering Kenya at all. Luggage TF? Hmmm!

You will ALL do Tanzanian Immigration on arrival at Mwanza. Your Visa there will be £50 and same rules about pre-filling apply. Happily Mwanza is not a great big terminal and it will all be relatively relaxed (unless they ask for the YF Cert and you don't have it)

Have a good trip.

Edited: 2:41 pm, October 27, 2010
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LHR _Niarobi_overnight then Mwanza Feb 2011

Mfuwe has it for you. The only thing I could add is that the KLM flight is a long flight and they have plenty of ways to make up time getting to NBO. This is a typically on-time flight. Getting in at 7 and flying out at 8:25 is very doable. NBO is a rather small airport, so I wouldn't foresee any problems in all this.

The only thing is that several times I've had difficulty having my luggage make it with me on this flight. Mwanza is a dinky little airport which doesn't have much traffic going through it.

Seattle, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: LHR _Niarobi_overnight then Mwanza Feb 2011

Mfuwe knows: SMILE through the bureaucratic stuff :). On the group question, baggage procesing is not efficient at JKIA despite on-time airline arrivals. They'll most likely leave their baggage behind at JKIA so advise them to carry-on stuff they'll need in Mwanza. I'll prolly be doing the same dance, though JKIA-DAR-MWZ-Kisumu in mid February 2011!

My question: what is there to see in Mwanza proper? I only have 36 hours in town.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LHR _Niarobi_overnight then Mwanza Feb 2011

I enjoy looking at all the rock formations there, everywehre you look there's boulders sitting on top of boulders. Try looking on www.mwanza-guide.com for places ot go to there and things to do.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,846 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LHR _Niarobi_overnight then Mwanza Feb 2011

Well staring at Bismark rock won't take up all your time. You could visit Saanane National Park about 10 minutes by small boat from the Tilapia Hotel. If this does not appeal then try the Buhjora Sukuma museum which is dedicated to the history and culture of Tanzania's largest tribe.

Good luck.

Seattle, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: LHR _Niarobi_overnight then Mwanza Feb 2011

Great! I suppose Mwanza rocks :)

Seattle, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: LHR _Niarobi_overnight then Mwanza Feb 2011

@BABunny: what's your group heard about things to do or see in MWZ? Is the Treehouse recommended? Thx!-Seattle, WA

Edited: 4:07 am, December 13, 2010
8. Re: LHR _Niarobi_overnight then Mwanza Feb 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 12, 2011