We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Bagamoyo to Sadani

Tenerife, Spain
1 post
Save Topic
From Bagamoyo to Sadani

The guys of Francesco's are organizing boat safaris to Sadani National park. If you want to enjoy a real adventure in Africa, out of any touristic route and sailing up to the swahili coast and getting inner mainland through Wami river this is the way. You will be going up to the river facing hippos -one of the biggest concentration in Tanzania-, cocodriles and all kind of birds... with no people around. Usually they spend the night at Allam's & Jacki farm, in a improvised camp beside the river in an area where you can see hippos feeding at night. Don't miss it, This is an authentic experience.

5 replies to this topic
Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Bagamoyo to Sadani

Do you have any more info about this tour? Price etc? It sounds amazing!

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Bagamoyo to Sadani

@psychadelic - the original post you responded to is almost 2 years old, from a poster who has only 1 forum post, a questionable one at that. My guess is you won't get a response from the OP.

Antwerp, Belgium
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: From Bagamoyo to Sadani

We went to Saadani last August.

The trip on the Wami River was indeed unforgettable but the park itself was nearly all burned down, we made 2 safaris in this park but we nearly saw an animal.

The beach is beautiful and you are all alone there...

We stayd in Saadani Village but the hotel wasn't good and the people weren't friendly. There is a beautiful lodge near the river and one on the beach but they were a little bit expensive for us...

The road between Bagamoyo an Saadani is finished but I think you can't drive this road in the rainsaeson. It was included in our trip through Tanzania so I don't know the price.

groetje, Nicole

Edited: 7:24 am, September 23, 2012
Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Bagamoyo to Sadani

Well, to further the information on this trip:

The local tour operators in Bagamoyo can organise this trip for US$200 for up to 4 people.

However, we didn't go on the trip, because as we were walking from the village back to our hotel (Bagamoyo Country Club) we were attacked on the beach by two people with pangas (large knives) and broken bottles. My boyfriend was quite badly beaten up and the money we had been carrying, as well as our cards and cameras etc were taken from us. We were then told by the hotel manager that "no one goes onto the beach without a panga these days. Its not safe"

Anyone thinking of travelling to Bagamoyo should be especially cautious if backpacking or travelling in small groups. At this point, I'm not even sure if the tour operators would have actually taken us to Sadaani, or just taken our belonging and left us stranded too.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Bagamoyo to Sadani

I was in Bagamoyo in 2005 and last time 2008. 6 months the first time and 8 the second. Most of the time i is ed to go around Bagamoyo alone exept at night of course. My walks along the beach from Chuo CHa Sanaa (college of art) for 3 or 4 miles towards Caole was almost a daily routine and never encoutered any unpleasantness. It is really sad to hear these kind of news about Bagamoyo now, so sad because my experience with the local people there has always been good. My only bad experience in Bagamoyo was with the small corrupted bureaucrats, those are deadly more than pangas!

Reply to: From Bagamoyo to Sadani
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bagamoyo