We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel insurance - suppliers and usage

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
travel insurance - suppliers and usage

I'd love to hear from anyone who has purchased and had to use travel insurance in Cuba- preferably someone from Australia or New Zealand. I'm just searching around for information before I purchase some insurance for my April trip

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel insurance - suppliers and usage

Don't understand the question.

Either a company covers you for travel to and in Cuba or it doesn't.

We generally use the insurance that comes 'free' with our credit card.

In the very unlikey possibility that you are asked to demonstrate in Cuba that you have health coverbring a letter from the underwriter.

However last trip at the last minute that bank changed underwriters who because of being behoven to USA would not cover us. The bank provided an ex gratia payment and I bought Nomads cover which is found on the Lonely Planet site here

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-insurance/

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
11 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel insurance - suppliers and usage

I live in NZ and am going to Cuba in January. My Kiwibank credit card gives us automatic and free travel insurance. Since it is underwritten by Tower Insurance, I had to contact them directly to get written confirmation that we are covered. It wasn't any hassle at all, they just needed some basic info about our departure and arrival dates etc.

Also, Southern Cross provides travel insurance to Cuba - …custhelp.com/app/…3D

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel insurance - suppliers and usage

Yes Imee that letter will suffice re the Cuban requirements. However re my last para always worth checking just before departure that the bank card's underwriter hasn't changed. One of our cards has had that occur almost annually for past 4 years! Only a problem if the company is from the land of the unfree and suddenly you have no protection in Cuba.

BTW does your bank card's insurance provide emergency medical evacuation? Some don't.

Edited: 5:47 pm, November 26, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travel insurance - suppliers and usage

Sorry if the question is misleading -

firstly I am buying travel insurace with medical because I dont travel overseas without it - its just basic common sense. I was wondering if people have used RACV or one of the many of insurers who provide travel cover. I haven't used a credit card for years so I dont have any cover there.

Edited: 9:06 pm, November 26, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel insurance - suppliers and usage

As before

"Don't understand the question.

Either a company covers you for travel to and in Cuba or it doesn't".

Nomads as suggested is but one of a zillion that are suitable.

And yes you're welcome!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
11 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel insurance - suppliers and usage

I thought I would add an update here as I've just recently returned from my trip to Cuba.

On arrival at Havana airport, I was not asked for proof of travel insurance at the immigration desk. However three people in the queue next to me were asked for proof of their travel insurance and had to purchase it at a separate desk before coming back to immigration. So I guess it depends on the immigration officer you get.

Personally I never travel without insurance and I'm glad that what I get for free with my credit card is comprehensive, including emergency medical evacuation.

Lee G - if you haven't purchased your travel insurance yet then try Southern Cross (…custhelp.com/app/…3D)

7. Re: travel insurance - suppliers and usage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Baracoa