We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confused about santa?

Which Levi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
18 reviews
confused about santa?

Having booked the 3night stay at the crazy reindeer with Thomsons, I am now trying to decide which Santa trip to do.

The activity which comes with the holiday is the Santa's activity area. Is this good? Is it authentic and does it take the full day?

I am wondering that, if it is not too great, not to bother with that one and instead do the Search for Santa at Santa Village which i can book through Levi tourist info. This is 75euro each, so I would like to know if it is a lot better that the free one that comes with the package holiday and is it worth the extra. This one is also done at night so it would free up a day to do something else.

York, UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
430 reviews
1. Re: confused about santa?

Hi,

Not sure if this answers your question but we were in Levi last Xmas with Thomson.

We stayed at the Sokos Levi - which I don't think they do anymore.

We decided to book our excursions through Levi Tourist information. We had a Reindeer ride that lasted twice as long as Thomsons for half the price. We also did a combined Husky and Snowmobile ride that also lasted longer for cheaper.

On the first morning the group went on their taster sessions whilst we went on a reindeer. That afternoon we were at a loose end whilst the group did their chosen activity.

On the second morning the group went to see santa whilst we snomobiled. In the afternoon they did another activity whilst we had nothing to do.

The moral is, we saved money but never saw santa and were bored. Had we have spent more money doing the Thomson activities we would have less time doing them but seen santa and not been bored in the afternoon.

The Crazy Reindeer is a great hotel. We all met there on the final night for a Gala dinner. I'm not one to get emotional but I had a tear in my eye many times during the holiday - and I get choked up now typing this as it was such a great holiday.,

Enjoy

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: confused about santa?

If you were bored, why did you not arrange other activities for yourselves for the afternoons? Surely the tourist info would have been able to assist you in that, too? Even visits to the Santa can be arranged through them, too.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
6,947 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: confused about santa?

A lot of people feel nervous about arranging things for themselves, which is why travel agents still exist in this age of the internet. Pluck up some courage, people, and you will no longer have to pay twice as much for half as much.

glasgow
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: confused about santa?

thanks for the response. I have looked at the prices of the excursions and thought they were dear but i dont think the prices are released by the tourist info until about october for the activities, but I definately think I will be booking through them rather than thomsons. Just need to wait so i can figure the dates and check what the santa activities are

York, UK
Level Contributor
98 posts
430 reviews
5. Re: confused about santa?

In response to ZAM72 about being bored.

The holiday cost a small fortune. Excursions were also relatively expensive. With an unlimited budget we could have been busy 24 hours per day ! Sadly we had to trade off a certain amount of boredom with the amount of money we had in our bank.

We did use the cable car (gondola) in Levi one afternoon which was a relatively inexpensive item to do.

Also, the Thomson night time Snowmobile excursion costs more than the day time one. It gets dark in Levi about 2pm in December. By the time you do your daytime Thomson snowmobile it will be pretty much dark anyway !

I don't know the individual prices but we paid Tourist Information £350 for a mornings Reindeer Safari, a three hour Snowmobile ride which included a 2 mile husky experience - this was for 2 people. I believe if you book through Thomson this will cost around £550-£700.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: confused about santa?

Luckily there are also things that one can do there without shovelling money; tobogganing is free, snowshoe rental is rather low-cost (when you walk about by yourselves). Renting cross-country skis is also cheaper than downhill skiing, as you won't need any ski passes for that.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
7. Re: confused about santa?

True. It gets dark at 2pm, but I get off from work at 6pm. It has never stopped me from my activities... :) If you only wait for nice weather and bright daytime, you could just stay inside through the whole winter.

One thing I enjoy in the winter is going cross-country skiing with headlamp as the only light source. After a long day at work, it's almost therapeutic. In pitch darkness, luckily with just a few other skiers on the track.

8. Re: confused about santa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Levi