We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New year eve

england
Level Contributor
82 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
New year eve

Weve booked a DIY holiday to levi and I'm starting to plan trips etc with 2 children aged 6 and 4. Any recommendations received. My first question is that of new year eve, what sort of things are traditionally done on new years eve??

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New year eve

Boozing and fireworks are the main activities.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New year eve

Except this New Year Lapland Rescue Department restricted (or banned) fireworks in Levi Centre. So that leaves just boozing... :)

But New Years Eve here means same as everywhere. Partying, getting together with friends... For single people it's more partying, for couples and families with children more just getting together, eating well etc.

But no big traditions on new years eve. As a kid casting a new year's tin was always a big hit. And firecrackers. New years sauna is of course very importmant, but you take any public holiday and sauna is an important part of it.

On new years day president gives a televised speech. Later the same day women want to follow new year's concert from Vienna as men are waiting for the Four Hills tournament in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New year eve

the fins and russians like to let fireworks off in the streets so hopefully the ban in the town will stop this but do be aware of this

I thought there was an organised firework display at point zero, has this been stopped too?

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New year eve

The organised firework display is still there, they've only tried to restrict the general public from launching their fireworks in the centre for public safety.

Atherstone, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New year eve

I've had 2 New Years in Finland, 1 in Levi and I must say that its the best New Years Eve I've ever had! We went on a snow shoe walk at about 9pm up the fells (organised trip) and got to the top of Levi's front slopes just before midnight. It was amazing to see all of the fireworks going off above the town! I can thoroughly recomend Levi on New Years Eve!

Yllas was great oo as they kept the slopes open until 12:30 am so we skied the New Year in!

Pontefract, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New year eve

Can anone recommend a good place to eat that caters for kids and a vegetarian for new years eve alonf with any ides for New Years eve

7. Re: New year eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 16, 2014