We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which type of board?

Manchester
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which type of board?

Have finally settled on Hotel Sokos in Levi for 3 nights but what about food?

we usually like flexibility but as its only two nights - gala dinner one night(dont know where) perhaps best to stay in?

eating in hotel looks reasonable so we could book B & B and still decide to eat at hotel when we are there, couldn't we?

but intrigued as to how HB/FB work on a trip like this? does the itinery mean we'll be out all day and only get fed if FB?

confused. have read so many reviews and comments but cant seem to find the thomson itinery anywhere. Any clues?

booking advice............thomas cook or thomson? and what's the difference in itinery?

thanks for any help you can give

S

Edited: 5:41 pm, October 01, 2012
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which type of board?

There are plenty of options to eat out in Levi - kitchens especially in the hotel restaurants are often open until 10-11 pm or midnight. Even if you opted for B&B, you'll have the opportunity to join the buffet dinners that are included in the half and full board packages. E.g. Sokos Hotel Levi has the buffet at its restaurant Kiisa. Also other hotels and restaurants will have buffets in the ski season. Prices vary usually around 25€ - 30€/person (incl. non-alcoholic table drinks such as water, juice, home-brew).

In most cases the detailed itinerary you will find out only upon arrival in the destination. Regarding the tour operator. Both probably have more or less similar itineraries but the excursions might fall on different days, you'll have to compare what's included in your package and what not. The taster rides are very short, max 5 - 10 mins each.

liverpool
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which type of board?

Hi if you are thinking of booking with thomsons I would be inclined to wait a bit. I booked mine with them in June and paid £2208 for four days for 2 adults and 2 kids. At the time I wasn't sure if it would be worth waiting til nearer Xmas for a deal. As such since then I have been checking the prices daily (as my husband think it would go cheaper).

Anyway, the brochure price is close to £3000 but since June the online discount offered has been changing loads since! In early sept my holiday reduced to 2k! I would hang on as the current prices a the highest prices that I've seen online and I expect they'll drop over the next couple of weeks (based on the last 3 months). May be wrong though but they really have changed within a £700 difference.

I'm sure the thomsons itinery is over 2 mornings in levi whereas it's one full day in saariselka- the itinery can be seen here for levi

thomson.co.uk/destinations/europe/finland/la…

Manchester
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which type of board?

Thank you for your reply Zam. As it's only really two nights, I think we will take the easy option and stick with the hotel...unless the figures really dont stack up.

Manchester
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which type of board?

Thanks kitty katty, not sure if I've got the nerve to wait. Not sure what your dates are either but certainly sounds like you a good deal. Where are you staying. The link is much appreciated. thanks

liverpool
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which type of board?

Going 16th dec from Manchester but all the holidays were around that price even a few weeks ago. I think. Each time someone books the price goes up! Check holiday hypermarket too as Thomson trips are selling cheaper on there. We are going the holiday club in saariselka. We a staying b&b as lunch is inc on activity day so only 2 evening meals. I didn't want to limit the trips by being back in time for tea as there are a few excursions I fancy but will book them cheaper with local operators I think. The half board option was almost £300 extra for me but I'm sure the four of us can get tea for £150!

Manchester
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which type of board?

Kitty Katty thank you,

your good advice meant I bottled it...........booking at the beginning of Oct I mean. Holiday is almost £150 per head less today and I have booked it.

Hurrah!!!

liverpool
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which type of board?

Fab! That's great! I just checked my holiday but see its sold out for that date so really pleased as it never really got much more than £100 lower than I paid in total. However you can now get 4 days for family of 4 with thomsons on the 9th dec for under £1400 from Manchester!!!! I knew it would happen but no way did I have the nerve to wait this late!

Well done you! Is it Levi you are going to?

Barnsley, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which type of board?

Hi, I am travelling to Levi with my two boys age 5 and 4, they both have aspergers syndrome and are very funny eaters, can anyone tell me what you are and are not allowed on the plane where food is concerned??

Thanks

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which type of board?

As Finland and UK are both EU countries you can bring practically any foodstuffs. The normal restrictions on liquids, gels and pastes apply to anything you plan to take in your cabin baggage. There are no special limitations for what you can place in the checked-in luggage (other than weight allowance). If you put any liquids in your suitcase pack it so that the containe cannot break in any circumstances. If you are in doubt, just type the name of the stuff to http://www.mitamukaanlennolle.fi/en and you'll see whether you can take it or not.

10. Re: Which type of board?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 15, 2013