We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Cannes to Castellane onto Sainte Maixme

Dublin, ireland
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Cannes to Castellane onto Sainte Maixme

Myself and my friend are travelling from Cannes to Castellane (july 27th) and then onto Sainte Maxime (28th July) this summer. I am looking for advice on the best bus or train route and if all else fails we can hire a car. The websites that I have been looking at are giving very limited information so any help given will be much appreciated.

3 replies to this topic
Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Cannes to Castellane onto Sainte Maixme

This is France so, except within and between the main towns, public transport is unbelievably sparse. There is one bus a day from Nice (not Cannes) to Castellane, leaving Nice at 0700. Leaving from Cannes, the nearest points for you to pick up the bus are either Cagnes-sur-Mer or Grasse (either of which is a short train ride from Cannes). The bus timetable is here

info-ler.fr/doc/…fh21.pdf

Coming back, the least awful option looks like taking the one bus a day back to Grasse/Cagnes/Nice, then changing onto the train to St Raphael and, from St Raphael catching the 7601 bus to Ste Maxime. The timetable for the trains is here

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH03-Les_A…

The timetable for the 7601 bus is here

varlib.fr/cg83/Horaires_des_lignes_du_reseau…

If you want to explore alternative routes from Castellane, the Varlib website is the place to do it. But such bus services as there are are basically for getting children to and from school and you could find yorself stranded in a very rural area. Even if you opt to backtrack to Grasse/Cagnes/Nice it looks to me as if you will have to overnight either where the bus drops you or in St Raphael.

This may sound unhelpful, but have you considered hiring a car?

Dublin, ireland
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Cannes to Castellane onto Sainte Maixme

Thanks so much for your reply -- i think it very much looks like we will have to hire a car.

County Clare...
Level Contributor
52 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Cannes to Castellane onto Sainte Maixme

Have just returned from a week on the french riveria, we spent one day traveling around Castellane, Gorge du Verdon and then back to our base in Frejus at night. It was a lovely day trip. we had rented a car for the week -but i did not see much public transport. Car hire was cheap BUT bring a sat nav - i don't think we would have made our way out of Nice airport without it. FYI - we booked with hertz through ryanair and it was about €200 for the week. If you need anymore information just ask - enjoy the holiday, its a lovely part of France

Edited: 10:14 am, May 20, 2012
Reply to: Travelling from Cannes to Castellane onto Sainte Maixme
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Castellane