We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Seguret villas

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Seguret villas

Seguret seems to be a pedestrian village. For a lenghty stay, how is luggage brought to a villa in town? It seems you have to park below the village and walk up. I'm concerned also about groceries and provisions.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,148 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Seguret villas

Pedestrian village? Yes and no -- Seguret is very, very small, and the streets are very, very narrow -- the residents drive and park in the town, but most visitors park in the large lot just outside the gates and walk up (neither long nor arduous)

You shouldn't have enough luggage to make the trip up the hill impossible -- ask the owner of the villa about the arrangements he/she may have with the village.

Groceries and provisions are the same -- ask the owner about arrangements for such -- but you shouldn't have so much that the trip is impossible.

It's on a hill, yes, but it's not like you have to climb a vertical cliff face to reach it. The year we visited, I was recovering from a severe knee sprain and had to "baby" my knee every step of the way. Seguret gave me no problems at all.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Seguret villas

Séguret should be incarcerated for oozing excessive charm...

Seruously it's a lovely place. Have fun exploring the beautiful Dentelles de Montmirail. There are some great hikes in the area if you're up for that kind of thing. And don't overlook the local wines. There are some excellent producers nearby — but maybe not a good idea to mix the two...

Enjoy!

Level Contributor
93 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Seguret villas

I'm hoping you can help - trying to choose between sablet and Seguret - I have heard that the church bells ring starting at 7 am and that seems a bit disruptive! Yet I hear that there is so little available in Seguret that it's difficult - any input please? Thanks!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,148 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Seguret villas

There's more services in Sablet than in Seguret. Two bakeries (the one that faces the square has better bread, imo), a minimart, and a couple of restaurants. There's a restaurant or two, and a boulanger in Seguret; but that's about it. Sablet is a little more practical; Seguret is more charming.

I wouldn't call the bells in either village disruptive -- they're lovely, and there isn't a village in France that doesn't have church bells in the morning, whether it's Provence or elsewhere. If the sound of bells and a lack of services makes you cringe, I'm not sure tiny villages in Provence are a great vacation spot for you -- you'll go mad. The bells ring on the hour, usually, some at the half hour, and some even on the quarter hour -- they're part of the soundtrack of life there.

Level Contributor
93 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Seguret villas

Thanks so uch..I have been there and love it, so it's no all the bells that concerned me, it's just that the place we're looking at is right next to the church.

I've been told that there is no boulangerie in Seguret, but I think that small inconvenience is outweighed by charm! Thanks again!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
38,148 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Seguret villas

If there's not a boulanger, there is at least a depot de pain, I'm fairly sure. (We visited, but didn't stay there, so I don't always register the bakeries...)

I think it's so lovely and charming that it would be well worth the tradeoff...and only you can make the call on the bells. (I kind of like the "oh yes, all the people who aren't on vacation have to get up, and I can roller over and go back to sleep)

Level Contributor
93 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Seguret villas

My last post - I swear! I do like the chance to pretend I live in France (I hope to live there someday) so I'm leaning towards Sablet becuase of it being more of a working village - I am going nuts trying to decide! Earplugs will solve the bell issue - if there is one - but the house in Seguret is so nice - well, gotta decide -any last words of advice are welcome and if not - merci beaucoup!!!

Windsor, California
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Seguret villas

Seguret is a charming small village. There are two very nice restaurants in town and one outside town, two santons studios, a gallerie and card shop. There are no bakeries or food shops. None of these are open consistently during the off season. You will have to go to Sablet or another village to pick up bread, etc. As mentioned, Sablet is a working village meaning it stays open year around. There are two bakeries, two small epiceries, flower shop, tabac/presse, wine cooperative, butcher shop, and 4 restaurants. On Thursday, a poissonier and goat cheese maker install themselves in the main square. The bells ring starting at 7 and ring on the hour till 10:00. I have never heard anyone object to the bells. As the previous poster said, if you find the bells objectionable a small village in Provence or anywhere in France for that matter is probably not the right choice for you.

9. Re: Getting to Seguret villas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 21, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Seguret