We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do at Padang Besar for 9 hours!!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
What to do at Padang Besar for 9 hours!!

Hi guys!

I will be heading to Padang Besar from Butterworth via a morning train , reaching about 9am.

I did this instead of other train options because it will be the Hari Raya period soon and I want to secure train tickets online. I can't seem to purchase train tickets for trains at a later timing.

I will be travelling to Bangkok from Padang Besar at about 6pm , hence I will have about 9 hours of free time!

Are there any good suggestions on what to do at Padang Besar?

Do note that I will be carrying a big backpack around hence I will prefer to go somewhere nearby.

3 replies to this topic
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do at Padang Besar for 9 hours!!

How about visit to Kangar, the nearest town about 30 minutes car drive from Padang Besar? http://wikitravel.org/en/Kangar

Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do at Padang Besar for 9 hours!!

Nothing much you can do in Padang Besar.

You could proceed to Hatyai (1-1.5 hrs travel time) by shared van. Then, take an afternoon train to Bangkok, or spend time in Hatyai and take a later train.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do at Padang Besar for 9 hours!!

There isn't a lot you can do for 9 hours.

Arriving at 9.10am, you can take the Thai diesel rail car at 9.55am (Malaysian time) to Hat Yai, which has more to do and more trains leaving for Bangkok.

The 6.40pm train to Bangkok is the International Express (train no. 36), the Butterworth-Bangkok through train run by Thai Railways. According to the KTM timetable it leaves Butterworth at 2.00pm. The Thai coaches won't be going to Butterworth for now, but KTM would be putting passengers on an electric train set and connect to the Thai coaches at Padang Besar. (As explained by Seat61: http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm)

There are also KTM Komuter trains from Butterworth to Padang Besar. There is one departure at 12.50pm reaching at 2.35pm, and on Fridays-Sundays and public holidays, another departure at 4.00pm reaching at 5.45pm. No reservation is required, just show up at the station and buy a ticket. ktmb.com.my/ktmb/uploads/files/portal_dokume…

Reply to: What to do at Padang Besar for 9 hours!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Padang Besar