We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Figline Valdarno

Which Figline e Incisa Valdarno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pingelly, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Figline Valdarno

We are staying in Figline Valdarno for 3 nights. Is this a good place to explore Tuscany? We will have already had 3 nights in Florence so we would like to just have some time to enjoy the area. We will hire a car for 2/3 days and would like to visit Siena from here & enjoy the countryside. I would also like to visit Assisi but would really like to avoid driving a long way to see something thus missing beautiful/interesting places closer to home. Can you suggest a self-drive itinerary for a day or two?

7 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Figline Valdarno

It's a big town in the Arno valley with some light industry. It's on the railway and close the A1 highway but it's not that attractive a place. It's easy to get into the Chianti hills from here but, to be honest, it wouldn't be my preferred place to stay. If you want a small, quaint town within a fairly easy (1 hr) drive of Assisi, consider Cortona instead. Alternatively, if you're prepared to skip Assisi, why not one of the Chianti villages instead or even Siena?

Pingelly, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Figline Valdarno

Thank you so much for these suggestions. We shall consider them all.

Florence, Toscana...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Figline Valdarno

Figline Valdarno is perfectly situated to escape from. The central Piazza of Figline Valdarno is however really quite pleasant, and there are a few charming little streets surrounding it, so don't be put off.

Towns like Montepulciano are far easier to do as a day trip than from Florence, and even Perugia is within striking distance.

Manchester, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Figline Valdarno

I would not describe Figline as a big town. It is a medieval village, set around a beautiful square with the original village walls still intact. Ideally situated to explore the Chianti region.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Figline Valdarno

Sorry, Gabi x but your description of Figline is rather misleading. True, there are the remnants of the old town still there in Figline but by Tuscan standards it is a largish industrial town with little to recommend it. Being located in the Arno valley makes it hot and humid in summer. It is absolutely NOT ideally situated to explore the Chianti region. The most direct road runs from Figline through Dudda to Greve or Lucolena. This is a longer drive than it seems on the map because it winds to the extent that it's unpleasant to drive, and that's just to enter Chianti at its nearest point. The OP would be far better off staying in or near any of the Chianti towns (Greve, Radda, Gaiole, Castellina, Panzano etc) and basing his daily excursions on the via Chiantigiana. http://www.chianti-italy.com/chiantigiana.htm

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,228 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Figline Valdarno

I agree, but thank you for the reminder of Lucolena, Tuscan. That was the very first place I ever stayed in Tuscany. As I remember there was a pretty decent restaurant up there with an outdoor terrace from where we could just see our rental house poking out from the wooded hills. Happy memories and totellini di cinghiale to die for, as I recall. Oh for a magic wand and I would back there in a flash, twenty odd years younger and falling in love with beautiful Tuscany for the first time!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,228 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Figline Valdarno

No, it was ravioli di cinghiale, not tortellini - how the memory slips over time!

Reply to: Figline Valdarno
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Figline e Incisa...