We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Landmannalaugar 2016 June 19-23

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking Landmannalaugar 2016 June 19-23

Hi.

My wife and I are planning to hike Landmannalaugar to Þórsmörk June 19th to 23rd. Anyone else planning to hike these days and if so is it possible to arrange private transport to Landmannalaugar before the bus service starts?

Also we are considering doing the trek in reverse Þórsmörk to Landmannalaugar on the same days to give the snow a bit more time to melt up at the higher elevations. If we did this should we still try to arrange a pick up in Landmannalaugar other than the BSI? Assuming its not too easy to figure out if the bus service has started after departing from Þórsmörk? (no cell service or open huts along the route?)

Thanks all for you help!

Michael

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Landmannalaugar 2016 June 19-23

My first suggestion is: Make a plan b just in case.

The last time I heard (about a week ago) the estimated opening date to Landmannalaugar via Sigölduleið (208) is around june 17th, STILL not confirmed. Your best option for the upcoming week is to follow closely on updates. Some are given here: https:/…

Planing this hike this early is simply a gamble.

Edited: 8:02 pm, June 12, 2016
Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Landmannalaugar 2016 June 19-23

I'm planning on starting June 20th in Landmannalaugar and making my way down to Skogar - not sure if the pass between the glaciers will be doable this early in the season - but will plan accordingly. I'm arriving in REK on June 18th so if you are looking to split private transport to either end, I would be interested.

Steve

3. Re: Hiking Landmannalaugar 2016 June 19-23

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 16, 2017