We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lauagvegur trail camping- what sleeping bag should I take?

2 posts
Save Topic
Lauagvegur trail camping- what sleeping bag should I take?

Hello,

I am going to be hiking the Laugavegur trail starting August 17th for 6 days. I intend to hike all the way to Skogar. I am planning to camp all nights to save money. Will a 0 degrees Celsius sleeping bag be sufficient?

I looked online using www.yr.no, and it appears that I should expect a low of ~0 degrees Celsius. The main webpage for the trail reaffirms this (Link: www.fi.is/en/hiking-trails/laugavegurinn/ )

However, the Volcano Huts website is saying to bring a negative 10 degree bag. (Link: www.volcanohuts.com/laugavegur/details/ ).

Since I'll be traveling solo, I want to be sufficiently prepared for the extreme conditions. Any advice is helpful!

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,619 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lauagvegur trail camping- what sleeping bag should I take?

Before one even chooses a sleeping bag one needs to be aware of how it's rated and whether it's even suitable for one's journey.

There are several different methods used to classify a sleeping bag. Regardsing temperature one is usually referred as "comfort level", other ratings include "temerature range", "temperature rating", several "quality" phrases like "summer season", "3-season" and "winter.

You also need to be aware of different characteristics between sleeping bag types. A synthetic bag works differently from goose down bag in various conditions.

These differing recomendations might be referring to different classification methods. A sleeping bag that has it's comfort level at 0°C is usable at 0°C while a bag with, say, temperature range of 0°C will make one's night intolerably miserable.

Also remember that while the temperature is able to drop to 0°C it is usually accompanied with wind. It's usually wind chill and precipitation and not temperature that finishes travelers off.

-

I also like to mention that within the Fjallabak Nature Reserve (which includes the whole Laugavegur hike) you are not allowed to camp away from the cabins (wild camping).

Edited: 5:16 pm, June 11, 2016
Canton of Lucerne...
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lauagvegur trail camping- what sleeping bag should I take?

I am planning to do the Lauagvegur trail around the 25th of august, so I am interested in the same. Is a sleeping bag with a comfort level at 0°C sufficient?

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,394 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lauagvegur trail camping- what sleeping bag should I take?

I'll be hiking for nine days in the Highlands in early / mid August and I am bringing a -4°C comfort rating down sleeping bag (which has been cleared by the tour provider) and a silk inlet. So I guess if you have warm clothes to put on in case the temperatures drop you should be fine in a 0°C bag as well.

Edited: 11:25 am, June 29, 2016
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lauagvegur trail camping- what sleeping bag should I take?

Thanks for the response Kim! Happy to hear that the tour approved a bag of that comfort rating--exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

5. Re: Lauagvegur trail camping- what sleeping bag should I take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 07, 2017