We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landmannalaugar

Stafford, Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Landmannalaugar

Hello readers! I'm heading to Iceland for a week with family including my parents who are 65 years old, mom has a light medical condition. We already planned many activities to do, 3 half day and 2 full days of activities which I still can alter if I come across something very very interesting. I just learned about Landmannalaugar which appears to be fairly close to Vik (which we also visit) so I need to find out if it is worth to drive for perhaps an hour or two to do activities there, what is there to see without heavy hikes? I'm just looking for easy programs because of my parents but if it is doable, I'm willing to go there from Vik because I'm very interested.

Please let me know, I can still rearrange my plans to fit this one in.

Thank you very much,

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
13,135 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Landmannalaugar

Are you coming in the summer? When exactly? Landmannalaugar is in the highlands and not accessible all year round.

Also, have you rented a car? Is it a 4x4? The only way to go there with a standard 4x4 is from the West side. Entering from the south requires river crossings and a full-size 4x4 vehicle.

If you have a 2WD, you'll need to buy a tour into that area.

Edited: 9:09 am, May 06, 2016
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,623 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Landmannalaugar

"Fairly close" would classify in my books as an overstatement. From Vík it's at least 4 hours drive one way. At Landmannalaugar it's either wilderness hiking on a fairly (up to very) uneven ground, up and down through a lava field or through a valley with a gravel path, or bathing in the hot spring.

Edited: 9:44 am, May 06, 2016
Norway
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Landmannalaugar

As already stated, Landmannalaugar is "fairly close to Vik" as in "roughly in the same part of Iceland", but not much more than that. Vik is not the most convenient place to be if you want to go to Landmannalaugar. The closest villages on the main road would be Selfoss or Hella. You will need a full day and a 4wd car (or a tour), no matter where you start from really. While the journey to get there itself would be interesting and scenic, there is maybe not a lot to do at the destination for people that are not very mobile.

4. Re: Landmannalaugar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 08, 2017