We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
542 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

Hello, I'm planning 4 day backpacking end of June (23-27).

How this year winter / spring looks thus far?

Average, more snow than average / less snow than average?

Is it possible to predict the conditions on the trail and surrounding mountains at this point or is it still too early?

Just hope to see at least some portion of colorful landscape and not too much snow on the trail (assuming it will open by the time I visit :))

Thanks, Anna

Boston...
Level Contributor
212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
101. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

I just wanted to share my experience for anyone here in the country now or wanting to get to Landmannalaugar before the roads open to the public. We are not fans of tours at all. Typically we like to do things on our own at our own pace. But I didn't feel comfortable driving to Landmannalaugar and decided to book with Extreme Iceland (the tour Diane posted above). I wasn't totally excited because I knew it would be a group of 10 in a van on big wheels as opposed to a super jeep. But it was honestly a great experience. I'm so glad now we did it because if we had decided to try to drive ourselves we wouldn't have been able to get there because of the road closures. The ride was so fun, just as bumpy and crazy as I expected a super keep to be. Our driver was awesome. We almost got stuck twice but he kept his cool and figured it out (seeing the road conditions made me even more sure driving there would be a terrible idea). Once you get to Landmannalaugar you get like 2 1/2 hours to do whatever you want. So it's almost like a transfer with some good stops on the way.

Our tour and another group preparing for a guided Laugavegur trek were the only people at Landmannalaugar. Probably 30 people total including those fixing up the huts for the summer season. It was really incredible and definitely a unique experience. It really wasn't great hiking conditions because it was insanely muddy and there was still snow in some places, and it was dangerous to hike on the snow because of the geothermal activity underneath. But we hiked around the area to see the rhyolite peeking out from underneath the snow and were able to hike Brennisteinsalda. Some people took a dip in the hot springs too but we opted to use the time for hiking and exploring instead.

We were supposed to take a different route back and walk on the Hekla lava fields but we couldn't, so the driver took us to Haifoss instead, which was a pleasant surprise I was super happy about because I would way rather see Haifoss than lava fields (I lived in Hawaii and did volcano tours for a few years).

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know it was a really great experience for those wanting to get to Landmannalaugar before the roads open but are hesitant to book a tour. It was totally worth it for us, especially for the unique experience of there being so few people.

Mentioned in this post
Landmannalaugar
Landmannalaugar
140 Reviews
Landmannalaugar, Iceland
Laugavegur
Laugavegur
257 Reviews
Landmannalaugar, Iceland
Haifoss
Haifoss
101 Reviews
Skalholt, Iceland
Delft, The...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
102. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

For all people eager to wait for news, as of now the trail is open!!! More info on their Facebook page:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php…

The first people have already done the hike:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php…

As far as I know, the huts are open and the road towards Landmannalaugar (F208) is open as well. We're travelling from the 4th to the 8th of July. Let's see how much snow is left then...

Mentioned in this post
Landmannalaugar
Landmannalaugar
140 Reviews
Landmannalaugar, Iceland
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
542 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
103. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

Hi guys, we just got back home to Seattle, as a topic starter, and person who asked here so many questions I'd like to share our experiences :)

I don't think I will write full trip report, so I'll give brief summary here, I also will leave individual reviews for different places we saw.

Despite all the stress and frustration due to change of plans because of the snow and road closures, we had a great time and loved our trip!!!

Iceland exceeded our expectations! I saw many pictures, but now I think pictures don’t do the justice, or rather they do, for the places captured, but I think the majority of the pictures I saw are taken at well-known landmarks, while there is beauty all around, and one can take an inspirational picture telling a story or passing the atmosphere pretty much anywhere and in any weather conditions.

We saw many waterfalls, canyons and geothermal areas, hiked in birch forest and in the mountains, walked on black sand beaches, enjoyed glaciers and snow mountain caps, saw puffins, visited Myvatn nature baths and Blue Lagoon, wish we could enjoy more smaller and less developed springs, but didn’t have enough time. Lupines were in full bloom in some areas and it looked gorgeous.

We had great weather most of the time (with exception for 2-3 days), but gloomy weather helped us to see all hues of blue ice at Jokulsarlon lagoon, also not much wind, and water surface in most places was like a mirror – so beautiful!

Loved Thorsmork! Great scenery, amazing hiking, went to Valahnukur twice (in the evening and next morning), hiked Slyppugill-Stangarhals loop and part of Fimmvörðuháls (up to the snow line). The weather was great. I wish we’d have extra day to do Hvarnegill loop, but next time for sure.

Volcano Huts stay, while not cheap, was good for us – nice retreat for 2 nights after our stretched schedule running from place to place around the island. We also saw horses up close – they were feeding right outside our cabin and were running through the path near our cabin, so we could watch them from the window.

Pretty much all locations we stayed were excellent and we met some nice interesting people.

There were several stressful situations though (mostly because traveling to Iceland for the first time and compressed schedule) and glitches because of roads still being closed - our stay at Kerlingarfjoll wasn’t meant to happen :(, and we learned about it while waiting for a bus near Harpa at 7:30 am – no notification neither from Sterna now from Kerlingarfjoll resort (and I have reservations for both), so had to come up yet with another last minute plan.

Overall I think we had a great time, and were lucky to see what we saw, and it was wonderful experience.

Even if we didn't have enough time for everything, it was enough to made the discovery of Iceland and to get motivation for the next trips :)

This is the set with some pictures - I have many more and it will take a lot of time for me to sort them all :)

…smugmug.com/Places/…

I hope it's ok by TripAdvisor rules, I saw people posting links to other source, just want to pass the overall feel for our trip, and picture can say more than words :)

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
104. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing! :)

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
105. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

Hi ! I'm planing on doing the laugavegur trail on June 21st-25, but it is still unsure if the huts I reserved will be open by then. Does anyone know if there was more/less snow than usual this winter?

Thank you so much !

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,424 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
106. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

@ Katherine B

The outlook at Landmannalaugar two days ago: https:/…

I'd give you a favorable chance of 60/40 for the area to be open. Expect snow on the trail at sections between Landmannalaugar and Hrafntinnusker, and quite possibly lots of snow from Hrafntinnusker to Emstrur. Bring an appropriate equipment (extra wool sockes, gaiters, proper hiking boots)

Edited: 5:24 am, May 20, 2016
Mentioned in this post
Landmannalaugar
Landmannalaugar
140 Reviews
Landmannalaugar, Iceland
Norway
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
107. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

At least it looks from the photos like there is less snow than last year. But then last year was really bad.....

108. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 22, 2017