We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
542 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

Hello, I'm planning 4 day backpacking end of June (23-27).

How this year winter / spring looks thus far?

Average, more snow than average / less snow than average?

Is it possible to predict the conditions on the trail and surrounding mountains at this point or is it still too early?

Just hope to see at least some portion of colorful landscape and not too much snow on the trail (assuming it will open by the time I visit :))

Thanks, Anna

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

More snow than average for sure. You will see the colors of the mountains, it's the small valleys that still might have some snow patches in mid june, unless the temperature starts to go up soon. To see the snow level at the Landmannalaugar huts visit http://www.liv.is/webcam/laugar/ notice the hut to the left.

Mentioned in this post
Landmannalaugar
Landmannalaugar
140 Reviews
Landmannalaugar, Iceland
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
542 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

Thank you very much! That's very helpful, although I was hoping for less snow than average or average :( but oh well.

Edited: 11:54 am, May 06, 2015
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

Hi Anna,

Based on the webcam, the snow does not seem to melt in schedule. May I ask what are your plans for the hike? We are going to do a 5day hike 14-19, and I would be very interested in hearing what routes have others found to be accessible during June. Right now I am putting my efforts to studying Strutsstigur and Thorsmörk options.

It would be great to share plans.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

The long term forecast of Landmannalaugar looks to be quite cold (-3 to +5°C), mostly overcast and little to no rain at all until maybe June 9th. These combining factors mean that the snow in the area will melt extremely slowly. If I were going there in mid june I would start making a plan B right now. I know local operators have started making alternative plans towards their customers already due to the current conditions combined with the said forecast, their disclaimer offers them the option of changing the plan due to factors like the original area still being closed etc.... If local tour operators, who have all the capability and know-how to make the journey are planing to go somewhere else, I'd highly recommend everyone else to do the same so time isn't wasted once here to create a plan from the ground up. The accumulated snow I see on the webcam linked below has gone down only about 40 - 50 cm since March! That leaves about 150 - 200 cm still not melted. Notice the house to the left is still half burried in snow.

Forecast: http://www.yr.no/sted/Island/Su%C3%B0urland/Landmannalaugar~8299479/langtidsvarsel.html

Webcam in Landmannalaugar: http://www.liv.is/webcam/laugar/

Mentioned in this post
Landmannalaugar
Landmannalaugar
140 Reviews
Landmannalaugar, Iceland
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

I found this article just now. hringbraut.is/frettir/menn-muna-vart-onnur-e…

Just so you know the picture is of the roof of the cabin in Hrafntinnusker last sunday. There is still such huge amount of snow in the area that the hiking route is still deeply buried in snow. The hut isin't even located where there is supposed to be this much snow this time of the year, meaning the area surrounding the hut has even deeper snow accomulation that you see here.

I say make other plans if you were planing to go Laugavegur in the first three weeks of June, and standby for updates if you were planing any june venture through Laugavegur hiking trail.

Mentioned in this post
Laugavegur
Laugavegur
257 Reviews
Landmannalaugar, Iceland
London, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

Thanks Unnar. We are planning to do the Laugavegur hike from June 30th. I know it's extremely difficult to predict but would you say that it's highly possible that there might still be too much snow then? What is the best resource to stay informed about the conditions on the trail apart from here?

Mentioned in this post
Laugavegur
Laugavegur
257 Reviews
Landmannalaugar, Iceland
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

Not being able to access the area on june 30th will set close to a new record first made over 30 years ago. As is there is no way to tell. It can rain quite heavilly for five days and then most of the snow will melt really fast, swelling all the rivers and such, so things can turn in any direction really...

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

I'm planning to arrive at Landmannalaugar through public bus on June 17 for a day hike. Does it look like there will still be a lot of snow as of right now?

Mentioned in this post
Landmannalaugar
Landmannalaugar
140 Reviews
Landmannalaugar, Iceland
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
542 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

Thank you very much Unnar! But it's all very sad :( I was planning this trip so long time ago, and I had several alternatives. I chose to give up some extra nights on a way around island to have time to do this backpacking, and now it's hard to find booking available on the dates I need and places I would like to. :(

I have huts booked for all 4 nights (June 23 - June 27) and I was going to go Thorsmork to Landmannaugar., I hope there is a process to cancel them.

One question I have - can they keep them open even if trail is hard to navigate because of the snow? I'm worry for the state of the trail too, we were hoping to avoid hiking ins now all the time.

Do you think (if road is open on June 26th) Landmannaugar will worth the visit with so much snow? Maybe I could just go at least for one night at Landmannaugar .

I also have bus ticket from Reykjavik to Thorsmork - do you think it's possible to exchange it to Reykjavik - Landmannaugar on a different day? I can't remember if I found rules on bus cancellation/rescheduling in English.

It was such a great plan, and bet for average weather didn't work :(

What about road F35? Is it in better condition? I was hoping to get from Gulfoss to Laugar.

And is road to Askja still closed? (there was some closure because of volcanic activity some time ago).

Would it be similar situation with Laki craters? I was considering tour there as well.

If because of the snow I have to come up with new plan is there any particular place that benefit from snow that time a year? Maybe some particular areas look more scenic with ice cap mountains?

Sigh... It'a like planning a whole new trip but with much less options available :(

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Level of snow coverage to expect in June this year

It's understandably extremely frustrating to not know when the area opens. That said I got no answers to any of your questions of availability and alternatives.

Along with more snow accumulation than usual the spring temperature is unusually low for the first time in at least 33 years. Those factors combined, with little to no rain, and the little that does fall from the sky currently is sleet or even snow make it difficult to predict. Currently the outlook for the next week is bleak :-(

My optimum resource to see snow accumulation right now is http://belgingur.is/map/island-3.2.full/composite/2015-06-02T18:00+00:00 just pick the language and then forecast region and weather parameters to view.

Edited: 2:10 pm, June 02, 2015