We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landmannalaugar day tour from Laugarvatn? Opens up when?

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Landmannalaugar day tour from Laugarvatn? Opens up when?

Hi! I'm wanting to visit Landmannalaugar as a day tour. We will be in Hvolsollur on night of June 15, and are maybe planning on spending 3 nights at Laugarvatn to explore the areas surrounding.

1) does anyone know when in June Landmannalaugar will be open to the public?

2) What would be the best way to visit Landmannalaugar , from Hvolsollur or from Laugarvatn ? What would the route be?

3) Are there any companies that do day tours from Laugarvatn? I've only seen them from Reykjavik and only on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

4) We will be driving a 4WD ( probably Ford Escape). Would we be able to drive ourselves if no day tours available?

Thank you very much in advance!! :D

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,766 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Landmannalaugar day tour from Laugarvatn? Opens up when?

The usual opening date of Landmannalaugar is June 15. But last year the roads didn´t open until the 17. It´s all down to road conditions.

You should be fine with a Ford Escape, Take road 208 from Road 26, and there are no river crossings.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Landmannalaugar day tour from Laugarvatn? Opens up when?

Thank you Icelandic guide! For that route, I am guessing it is best taken from Hvolsvollur?

May I ask, how long would it take to drive from Hvolsvollur to Landmannalaugar and then from Landmannalaugar to Laugarvatn? ( our next night's stop June 16). If the roads aren't open yet on the 16th, is there an easy way of getting to it from Laugarvatn or are we then better off coming from Reykjavik?

Thank you so much again! Greatly appreciate it! :D

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,766 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Landmannalaugar day tour from Laugarvatn? Opens up when?

The route is roads 30 - 32 - 26 - 208.

It is about 2.5 hours from laugarvatn, and about 3.5 from Reykjavik, don´t see a reason to go to Hvolsvollur.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Landmannalaugar day tour from Laugarvatn? Opens up when?

The reason I mention Hvolsvollur is we are spending the night there on June 15, then spending 3 nights in Laugarvatn from June 16-19th. :) Thank you for the detailed route! :D Appreciate it!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
171 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Landmannalaugar day tour from Laugarvatn? Opens up when?

Hello, I went lo Landmannalaugar last year on June 24th... You will love it! :)

6. Re: Landmannalaugar day tour from Laugarvatn? Opens up when?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 26, 2015