We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hrauneyjar to Landmannalaugar with a 2WD car

Salerno, Italy
Level Contributor
55 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Hrauneyjar to Landmannalaugar with a 2WD car

Hi,

I'll be in Iceland in the end of august for 6 days. I'm planning my road trip and I want to rent a normal 2WD car since all the route will be along the Road 1 and North Fjords, except for the itinerary to Landmannalaugar.

I've read that the road from Hrauneyjar to Landmannalaugar is doable with a normal 2WD car, but, before venturing, I'd like to have a confirmation from some expert :)

I would do this route: road 32 (from Selfoss/Gulfoss zone) > F26 (at the end of road 32 until Hrauneyjar), > F208 until ... I don't know, I suppose until it's doable.

If this itinerary is doable, I would sleep at Hrauneyjar guesthouse or hotel

Thank you in advance for any help!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hrauneyjar to Landmannalaugar with a 2WD car

You probably will not be insured on that route, most of the rental limit insurance non F-roads. So you would be doing it on your own risk.

The road is though doable, but definitely not recommended. This is rough gravel road, with rocks and sand sticking out of the road.

Norway
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hrauneyjar to Landmannalaugar with a 2WD car

You can drive this in a 2WD, except that it would probably not be wise to cross the small river that is just at the entrance to the Landmannalaugar camp. But you can park at the other side and walk, it is just a few hundred meters.

But, as Bill says, the terms of most rental companies specifically prohibits the use of their 2WD cars on this kind of road. If something happened you would be liable for the cost of the entire damage. Even if nothing happened you could be in trouble if the rental company found ut you had been on this road.

I know I would not risk this.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hrauneyjar to Landmannalaugar with a 2WD car

The ,,highland patrol" has cotracts with most car rental, if they get a photo of your car on unauthorized roads, they get a bounty, and you get a hefty fine !

4. Re: Hrauneyjar to Landmannalaugar with a 2WD car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:47 am, July 11, 2013