We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives trip hotel advise for GOOD snorkeling environment

Taipei, Taiwan
8 posts
Save Topic
Maldives trip hotel advise for GOOD snorkeling environment

My husband and I am looking for a 7~8 days trip to Maldives in the end of Oct. to celebrate our 10th year together. (We met in school so please consider us as a "young couple"!)

Due to the limited budget, we are thinking about dividing the trip into two sections besides the first night at an airport hotel:

1. Budget hotel *2~3 night

2. 4 star hotel with AI package *4~5 night

**The hotel location is not limited to any particular island!**

The target is < USD$2900 for two, including some excess spending like food or tour. So actual budget would say around USD$2500 for the hotel itself+hotel transportation.

The things we are looking for is

1. Snorkeling

2. Relax feeling

3. We don't have diving experience but would like to try

There are solo many review and comments about all the hotels that we still feel very confused at the end. Could someone please help to make some recommendation for hotels that fall into the two categories, please?

9 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives trip hotel advise for GOOD snorkeling environment

Hi there

I think it is do-able and would suggest Biyadhoo as your budget island. It is a very basic island (probably more like 2.5* than the advertised 3 star) but with excellent snorkelling right off the beach. It's a 40ish min boat transfer from the airport. It is my favourite island as it has a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere. I'd then recommend Athuruga in a Beach Villa, which is another island with amazing snorkelling. it is ponly AI and offers one of the best AI packages in the Maldives. Fabulous food, very pretty island and as a bonus it would be a seaplane transfer. It would mean that you have to go back to the airport to pick up your seaplane, but as it's fairly close, that shouldn't cause too many problems. Diving would be possible at both, but you might want to save it for the 2nd island.

Anyway, have a look at these islands - they will at least give you something to go on. Hope that helps.

SL

Taipei, Taiwan
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldives trip hotel advise for GOOD snorkeling environment

Thank you for the advise. I have read about Biyadhoo before but frankly a bit afraid of the mixed comments--as it's our first trip to Maldives (and also the most expansive trip probablly...) we would like to make it a life time memory.

Regarding the budget hotel-I was referring to "really budget" ones like <USD$100/night like what they list on the B&B section: tripadvisor.co.uk/…T_CAT_BB_INN

But somehow I am confused why these hotel/guest house I wrote to were not responding to my request. :(

For the uppder class hotel-Diamonds Athuruga Beach & Water Villas - I think it's the one you meant?- looks pretty nice from the reviews. We think it's the Beach-Bungalow that more likely what we could affroad.

On the other hand, we were checking out two resorts as the upper class options: Kuramathi Island Resort/Kurumba Maldives--do you have any suggestions regards to the two resorts?

Thank you sooo much for the help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldives trip hotel advise for GOOD snorkeling environment

I'm afraid I can't really help with the B&Bs/Guest Houses. These are a fairly new initiative in the Maldives and therefore there isn't a great deal of information about them. Having read the reviews though, they do seem a good alternative. However, do be aware that you would be subject to Islamic Law and that alcohol would not be available (as far as I know) and you would need to adopt a more conservative form of dress than on the resort islands. I have been to Biyadhoo several times and would go back again in a heartbeat. If you are looking for a budget resort but with the usual amenities of a holiday island, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with Biyadhoo.

I really can recommend Athuruga as being far superior to the other 2 islands you have mentioned. Kurumba is VERY close to Male and the airport island and suffers from aircraft noise. It also has a retaining wall around most of the island, which personally, I feel detracts from the ambience. Kuramathi is a very large island by Maldivian standards. It has reasonable snorkelling, but nowhere as good as Athuruga. However, if you are looking for a choice of restaurants and bars and a livelier/busier island, then it is worth a look. It really depends on what you are looking for. Personally, I'd opt for Athuruga as it has a real 'Maldivian' feel to it, even though it is Italian managed!

Hope that helps.

SL

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldives trip hotel advise for GOOD snorkeling environment

If you want to stay 7-8 nights, definitely, I would stay at the same resort, but if you want to mix, try to pick them in the same atoll in order not to pay extra transfer (as you are on a budget) and specially don't spend a lot of time waiting ( you wait for a seaplane 1-5 hours...).

Maybe Vilamendhoo could fit in your budget or a combination of Biyhadhoo and Fihalhohi or Rihiveli (though it has not a reef) or Rannalhi.

Taipei, Taiwan
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldives trip hotel advise for GOOD snorkeling environment

Can't thank you both enough for the advise.

With key words "Athuruga" I found two resorts:

1. Diamonds Athuruga Beach & Water Villas

2. Athuruga Island Resort

Just want to confirm it's #1 which you refer to as "Athuruga", isn't it?

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldives trip hotel advise for GOOD snorkeling environment

You are welcome...

It is the same resort, they have renamed it Diamonds after they have built the water villas...

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,371 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maldives trip hotel advise for GOOD snorkeling environment

i agree with everyone else that athuruga is far superior to kurumba, let alone kuramathi.

Taipei, Taiwan
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maldives trip hotel advise for GOOD snorkeling environment

Had a good look of price and reviews Athuruga and other locations suggested (Vilamendhoo/Biyhadhoo/Fihalhohi/Rihiveli)--it's true the transportation takes a big % of the total cost and it would not make sense for spending some USD$700~800 just for getting to places.

We have to admit Athuruga is VERY attractive; however, we have to say AI at Vilamendhoo would not more suitable for our budget range. But as 1st time visitor to Maldives, we think it will be a great place as well.

If anyone has been to this resort, could you please advise which # of Beach Villas, or which side of island is better in terms of convenience for snorkeling?

Thank you all for the help and can't wait for the trip of our life time!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,371 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maldives trip hotel advise for GOOD snorkeling environment

vilamendhoo is a great island for a first time visit and should indeed fit much better into your budget. i would recommend to NOT miss the seaplane transfer as it is very special and amazing

Reply to: Maldives trip hotel advise for GOOD snorkeling environment
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted