We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Rhodes

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Rhodes

Hi, first time in Rhodes early September and we re staying in Tholos at Happy Days. We intend to hire a car for the duration and see as much of the island as we can. It looks beautiful from pictures other travellers have posted. Can anyone recommend some "must sees" for us and also a good car hire company where we can book from England before we go. Any tips and wrinkles would be very much appreciated so we can make the post of our time there (2 weeks). On another slightly odd note, I tend to get bitten by the dreaded mozzies. Is this a problem and any good tips again appreciated. Thank you.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First time in Rhodes

Hi again.We always book from the uk, this year with holiday autos for 2 weeks hire, 4 door small car with air con cost £248 as i found a discount code on travelsupermarket forum which gave 15% discount. I was a senior manager in travel for 28 years,and through experience would never book whilst on holiday- not only do you get a better price here, but you know you have some come-back if there is a problem, unfortunately I have seen too many car hire problems from overseas companies, its not worth the hassle. You can book late, as the voucher is emailed, you just go thro the arrivals hall, turn left, and the desk faces you, all paperwork is done, so your on your way, and only 10 mins drive to your hotel.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First time in Rhodes

Many thanks,agree that booking from here is always better and always cheaper.We used Auto Reisen in Cephalonia and found them good.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First time in Rhodes

I've seen it mentioned several times and it sounds lovely, thank you.

Eastbourne...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First time in Rhodes

Hi there,

We are going to Tholos Rhodes early Sept for a week staying in Sea View appartments. So excited however I see that the beach isn't sandy.

What is it like there? Is there any beautiful beaches near by? Were hoping not to hire a car as would be nice not to worry - so is there any public travel? Any advice you can give us, like excursions ANYTHING would be so greatful!! (as booked through a useless travel agent) thank you!!!

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First time in Rhodes

Hi, i wouldnt worry about the beach not being sandy, as there are sunlounges, and the sea is amazing and accessible, for what you lose on sand you gain on a gorgeous wind, peace and quiet, and amazing views over to symi and the turkish borders. To be honest, i couldnt imagine not having a car, as you just would not see Rhodes in its true wonderous light.I wouldnt worry about driving if you keep to the west coast and not towards ixia and ialyssos you hardly see a car! There isnt that much to do in Tholos, its just in my opinion the best side of the island for being less busy, and that fantastic breeze which is a godsend! We regularly go to gennadi,haraki,stegna on the other coast, which are sandy, but busier and generally 10 degrees hotter as there isnt any wind at all. There is a bus service into Rhodes town from Tholos, taxis are quite expensive tho, - we worked out that our car hire pays for itself as 1 excursion for 3 of us is half the cost of 2 weeks hire! So even not using it everyday is a bonus to us, and you can get to those beautiful mountains, and eat in tavernas where the greeks eat, proper greek specialities and much less expensive. So envious you are going soon!

Eastbourne...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First time in Rhodes

Ah thank you so much for your lovely reply. So you believe that a car is a necesity? Any recommendations where to go about doing this?

Thanks so much, You've re-assured me. Started to worry!!

:)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First time in Rhodes

Hi there

There are car rental companies everywhere, and sure to be in Tholos.. A Class One car, something small like a Peugeot 107, Citroen C1, Toyoat Aygo, etc, should start at around €25 per day although if you hire it for several days, you should get a reduction in the daily rate. My wife isn't an especially confident driver, but she has driven on Rhodes, and outside of Rhodes Town, traffic is light and free flowing. The west coast has some great sights and you would either struggle to see them by bus ( almost impossible really) or pay a fortune to an excursion company.

One of those cars would be perfectly adequate for anywhere you're likely to go, room for two adults in comfort, a small back seat if there are any children, and a small hatch, but space for a couple of rucksacks and a packed lunch.

That west coast road is pretty quiet, I remember driving from the airport down towards Kritinia castle and Kamiros and I think we saw no more than a handful of cars.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: First time in Rhodes

Hi again, yes i really believe you would be a bit bored with Tholos all day everyday. We hire car from the uk, holiday autos are cheap, if you google discount code you will get 15% discount code, whivh made our car hire about £20 per day, its hassle free, and as a manager in travel for 28 years i would not hire local, i have seen & dealt with too many problems! The best route is to drive from Tholos towards Sorini and Fanes, its one long road, it takes you thro to Kamiros & Kamiros skala, a lovely harbour. Then over the mountain to Sianna, a gorgeous little village, and on to Monolithos, where there are magnificent views. You can easily do the whole island, we have numerous times, we love the sights and scenery, just done 1400kms this trip! You can also get down to Prasonisi at the tip of Rhodes, where the seas meet on each side, famous for surfers and kiters, a greatsight. You cant get ,lost really, the roads are easy to follow, and you av all day to do it in! - Enjoy!

19. Re: First time in Rhodes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, August 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tholos
Recent Conversations