We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes in Sidari

Which Sidari hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Swansea Wales
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes in Sidari

Hi, I am going to Sidari for a fortnight in May. I've just been told that there are lots of mosquitoes there and that they are vicious. Can anybody tell me if this is true and whether there would be lots of them about during the last 2 weeks of May. I have had a severe reaction to mosquito bites in the past so this really worries me.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes in Sidari

Roseielou.........My condolences and I can understand your worry as I too have a bad reaction to the little b***ers!

The only way to be sure ( as one bite is one bite too many) is to always take the usual precautions eg.........

Plug ins

Wear long sleeves and trousers in the evenings

Avoid dense greenery after dark

Don't open doors and windows with the lights on at night

Don't wear perfumed products

Wear Avon Skin so Soft greeny- blue dry oil spray( not Pink)

IF you are prone to nasty reactions................

Take a one a day non-drowsy anti-histamine tablet for the entire stay.

Apply 1% hydro-cortisone cream to any bites.

This works for me everytime!!

In Greece I have found that there are a few around, whatever the time of year, and always err on the side of caution without getting unduly paranoid or making myself miserable.. :O) :O)

Edited: 11:53 am, February 11, 2010
Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes in Sidari

Hi

My Mum always gets bitten in Corfu. But last year wasn't too bad. She got the Boots tropical forumla mosquito repellient and it was the best repellient she's ever used.

If you spray yourself with this after you shower and before you go out at night you shouldn't get badly bitten.

Sidari
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes in Sidari

dusk is the danger time ///

avoid aftershaves and perfumes

apply jungle formular to neck and ankles in particular

use lavender soap/ avon skin so soft oil/

garlic capsules/ eat marmite/ wear deterrent bracelets

keep windows closed after 5pm keep lights off before opening doors in the evening

go to the pound shop get some tiger balm/// great if you get a bite

don,t be put off coming to this lovely island,,mozzies are a pest, but if you take care in the evening you will be fine People return year after year, bring all their lotions and potions with them//and just get on having a wonderful holiday

London, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes in Sidari

Hi,

I never get bitten and this is my advice :-

Pugins, if you use tablet ones you MUST renew each night, if you use the fluid leave it plugged in for 24/7(These are the best), you must have a plugin in each room eg; bathroom, lounge, bedroom, kitchen etc etc.

Cover yourself all over with anti mosquito skin lotion especially after a shower and before you go out at night especially arms legs and ankles.

When you got to bed leave the window open ajar - yes OPEN if you have shutters or mozzy nets close them. the mosquito does not like the aroma of the plugins so they escape through the windows if you dont they end up in the bed biting you. Contrary to popular belief the plugin things repel them not kill them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps as it does me because I never get a bite.

Cheers

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes in Sidari

Agree with Maysol50 about leaving the windows open and just closing the shutters.

Last year was the first year we did that, after I did a lot of research on the internet. And it worked, we were not as badly bitten as other years.

Apparently the mozzies don't like the plug in's and try to escape but if the windows are closed they can't get out, which drives them mad and they start biting.

Swansea Wales
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes in Sidari

Thanks to all who replied to my query. I really appreciate your advice and I can see that I just have to arm myself with all available anti mosquito products on the market and just go prepared for the little blighters. Many thanks for your tips and I have taken them all on board.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes in Sidari

You'll be absolutely fine Rosielou....just look after yourself. It all sounds tedious but you quickly get into the habit and don't give it a second thought.

The tip about leaving the windows open, so the little s*ds can escape is very true, but if you don't want to do this ( noise or security) then just give the room a spray with bug killer before you go out in the evening.

I've done this instead of using the plug-ins when the room has been in a noisy position and it has worked just fine.

Have a great holiday! :O) :O)

liverpool
Level Contributor
831 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes in Sidari

have heard that citronella candles are good for keeping mozzies at bay, can anyone shed any more light on this?

thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes in Sidari

Citronella candles (basil plants etc.) have no effect whatsoever when I'm around.

P.S. If you have severe reactions to mossie bites, antihistamine tablets are the way to go (as well as plug ins and mossie repellents). I usually take an antihistamine on the flight over, just to be on the safe side.

Edited: 9:56 am, June 03, 2010
10. Re: Mosquitoes in Sidari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 01, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Sidari