We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hometown harbour or white sound?

3 posts
hometown harbour or white sound?

Looking at 3 different properties to rent in late june. 2 are around the harbour, 1 is around white sound. Need help deciding between the locations. Looking for a place that is most centrally located around groceries, restaurants, boat/ cart rentals, and the ferry but still close to the best beaches. Any and all advise would be appreciated!!

5 replies to this topic
Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: hometown harbour or white sound?

Sounds like you may prefer the area around Hopetown Harbour. I say this mainly because it has everything you mentioned within walking distance. The island is pretty small and can easily be explored if you have a cart. The White sound area is very beautiful has great dining at Abaco Inn and Seaspay. There are fantastic empty beaches very close to both areas but you may find the ocean rough and rocky to down at WS. If you have a cart for the week, you really can't go wrong with either area. The beaches around Hopetown are fantastic, I love the trade winds down in WS and will be staying at the Abaco Inn late June. I will mention that HT is fairly protected by prevailing winds and can get pretty hot during the day come late June into summer.

You mentioned boat rental. I recommend getting your boat over in Marsh Harbour and there will be no need to worry about making the ferry schedule. I always pack pack enough large garbage bags to put the luggage into in case it's raining on the arrival afternoon which is common starting in June. If you opt for getting the boat in MH, you can load up with groceries and such in MH where it is much less expensive. Oh, and bring your credit cards, cause you won't have enough cash so let your CC company know you will be going ;).

You are going to have a great time. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
2. Re: hometown harbour or white sound?

I totally agree with Chris S on all his points! I prefer to stay out of the "downtown" area as it is very easy to get to by golf cart. I LOVE the Abaco Inn and the trade winds it offers all year, however in the winter does get a little cooler at night! I would say in early June you are right on the edge of the 'bayside" turning HOT! The "bayside" is nice from about October to June but gets hot as heck during the summer! Abaco Inn has the best wind on the island IMO! Location is all about when you are going!

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: hometown harbour or white sound?

If your choices are on Hopetown Harbour rather than ocean front, and on White Sound, in late June, I'd pick White Sound. There should be a good trade winds from the East at that time of year. You won't feel them in Hopetown Harbour so it will be really hot and still (with mosquitoes). The strip of land is very thin near White Sound, and the sea breeze comes across to the sound side. That's why Sea Spray Resort , on the White Sound side, is called 'sea spray'.

Hopkinton,Ma
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
4. Re: hometown harbour or white sound?

We stayed in B's Hive. Great house , and great location. Short walk across the street to the beach . Just a few min. cart ride to the boat dock, and very close to everything by cart. Sea Spray , Abaco Inn, Fire Flies, Beach Bar, even town is close by cart. I walked to town 1 day. I really don't think you can go wrong as long as you GO !

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
156 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: hometown harbour or white sound?

Another vote for White Sound or further south towards tilloo cut. As long as you have a cart, you're close to everything. Also, many of the White Sound homes have their own boat dock. I've booked houses all over the southern end of the island. Most included a boat slip only a cart ride away. This past summer we rented Carolina Wind which has a dock at the house. It's so much nicer to have your boat right there at the house, especially if you have a big group. You won't have to make several trips carting your beach/dive/picnic gear, then people.

Most cart rental and boat rental companies will deliver or pick you up. Island Marine will actually meet you in MHH. This is a nice option because you're not tied to the fiery schedule. You'll have to stop by their office on the way to your house, but it's worth it to avoid the ferry and ride from town.

Have fun!

Edited: 1:14 pm, May 24, 2016
Reply to: hometown harbour or white sound?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hope Town
Recent Conversations