We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In town or out of town

Flagler Beach
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
In town or out of town

For 1st time visitors which would be best - staying in Hope Town or south of town. We are looking at two rentals and are having a hard time deciding which area would be best. Any help would be appreciated

5 replies to this topic
Flic En Flac
Level Contributor
246 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: In town or out of town

For whatever reason, there is little activity or information on Abaco and the barrier islands at Trip Advisor Forums. Wish there was, as we are heading to Treasure Cay in 4 months and will for sure hit Elbow, Guana etc.

In the meantime, you might find some answers here:

abacoforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Edited: 2:11 pm, February 28, 2014
North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: In town or out of town

There's certainly more to do in Hope Town (restaurants, gift shops, supplies, museum) than there is south of town. If you stay in a rental south of town you will need to rent a golf cart for most, if not all, of the time that you're there. If you stay in town, there are 3 restaurants south of town (Firefly, Abaco Inn, and Sea Spray) that will pick you up and bring you there to eat, and return you to Hope Town when you're done, so you wouldn't need a cart. One thing to avoid as a first timer is the north end of Elbow Cay. You will need a cart, and you can only use it to get to Hope Town since traffic through the settlement is restricted. And the road at the North end is very rough, and it's very dark at night.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: In town or out of town

There are many factors that would influence my opinion- are you renting a boat for the entire time? do you have dockage right at your rental? are you willing to rent a cart? how many are traveling- any kids? ages? are you planning on doing any cooking "at home" or are you planning to eat out every night? Happy to chime in if you want to PM me or answer here.

I do agree that the Abaco forum is very helpful and I usually recommend it for great advice.

PS If I can ask, which houses are you stuck between??

Flagler Beach
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: In town or out of town

Decided to stay in town at Hook House. Know anything about it? Also looking for a less expensive snorkel trip for 5 of us. We have out own equipment. Froggies is a little more than we can afford. thanks

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: In town or out of town

I did not see a price when I looked quickly at Froggies website but I suppose it was a "per person" charge? Check this- he highly recommended on the Abaco forum:

http://www.captplug.com/index.html

Reply to: In town or out of town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hope Town
Recent Conversations