We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provisioning, beach bars, lodging in Marsh Harbor

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Provisioning, beach bars, lodging in Marsh Harbor

We're spending 10 days sailing out of Marsh Harbor in the fall and will need to provision. Where is the best place to shop in town and are there times in the week that are better than others for selection? We'll also need once we return to find a simple place for a night before we fly home. Nothing fancy. Shower, ac and clean. Another important consideration: local bars that are stronger on their rum than on pretty decorations.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
355 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provisioning, beach bars, lodging in Marsh Harbor

It's been a few years since my last sailing charter in the Abacos (boy, do I miss it!), so for the most timely information, I'm goling to point you to one of the Abaco forums -- www.coconuttelegraph.net or www.abacoforum.com. Rest assured, however, there is at least one good-sized supermarket in Marsh Harbour, as well as small markets in the settlements on Elbow Cay, Green Turtle Cay, etc. where you can re-stock. Also, you'll be well served to go to a bakery for sublime Bahamian bread (and Vernon's in Hopetown for his justly famous key lime pie).

Who are you chartering with. If Moorings, they have a basic hotel at the base -- The Conch Inn; but you don't have to be a Moorings sailor to stay there. We've typically spent our last night on one of the cays -- closer to paradise, and an easy ferry ride back to "mainland" Great Abaco to catch the flight home. Look at the Abaco Inn, Hopetown Harbour Lodge, or Seaspray on Elbow Cay.

Finally, the Abacos have some GREAT beach bars. Pete's Pub in Little Harbour is one of my favorites. Off the beaten path, which also means it may not be open in the fall, depending on when exactly in the fall you are going (we were last there the first week of November, and Pete's was closed). Nipper's on Great Guana will surely be open, however -- it's easily accessible from either Settlement Harbour or Fisher's. Some decent harbor bars on Green Turtle Cay (assuming your charter company let's you go above "The Whale"). Miss Emily's Blue Bee Bar is a favorite.

2. Re: Provisioning, beach bars, lodging in Marsh Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:47 am, July 12, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Marsh Harbour
Recent Conversations