We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oysters

Magnetic Island...
1 post
Save Topic
oysters

where can i purchase bluff oysters and have them sent to queensland australia.

4 replies to this topic
London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oysters

Will the Australian authorities allow you to import live oysters? If not allowed, then that will be it.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oysters

You can buy them in many fish shops around NZ. posting them may be an issue , but enjoy them for yourself whilst here. the world is your oyser with the worlds best oyster

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oysters

Hi Dave,

Firstly, be aware that we are coming to the end of the Bluff Oyster season (March - June)

AQIS (Aust Quarrentine & Inspection Service) will not currently allow the importation of live Bluff Oysters into Australia.

There are several NZ companies exporting frozen Bluff oyster products. Since we are assuming that you are only wanting small quantities of product, it would be much easier for you to deal with one of the Australian importers. If you source the product from this side of the ditch, then you will need to complete the tedious export documents etc.

Individual travellers from NZ to Au are allowed to carry small quantities of preserved product in the form of pottles. These are considered to be product samples. The packaging must be sealed in its original form and NZ receipts of purchase available for inspection.

Two Queensland based companies which have imported oyster product from New Zealand are:

Stewart Seafoods (two NZ guys)

9 Allambi Tce, Noosa Heads, QLD 4567

Sunshine Coast Tel: (07) 5474 3888

A. Raptis & Sons Pty Ltd

90 Colmslie Road Colmslie Brisbane QLD 4170 Ph 07 3249 7888

Independent Fisheries Ltd is a Christchurch based company which exports a wide range of seafoods into Australia. It may be worth contacting their Australian manager (based in Sydney), David Keir.

Phone (02) 9525 5688 Fax (02) 9526 7459 Mobile 0449 859 792 David.Keir@indfish.co.nz

I hope this helps you out. Availability may depend on whether it is for personal consumption or for business (ie. Restaurant) Good luck.

Edited: 5:45 pm, June 21, 2012
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oysters

Dave - you can import NZ Bluff oysters frozen without shell into Australia without AQIS permit however you will need some documentation to be provided by the providor. You can also import NZ Bluff oysters dead in shell however this requires even more documentation!

Suggest you contact companies in above post. Much easier and they should have the experience of dealing with customs and quarantine issues.

If you have any problems please feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can to help you as I have imported this product into Australia over the years.

Reply to: oysters
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bluff