We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrakech to Mount Toubkai

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Marrakech to Mount Toubkai

Mount Toubkai Trek

Marrakech

I’m planning a trip to Morocco in July with my wife and 2 kids, unfortunately I’m probably going to be flying into Agadir. The kids just want to play on the beach and because it’s cheap. I’m planning a day trip on my own to Marrakech just to have a wander around and see the place.

I know that I can get a SupraTours coach of some description from Agadir to Marrakech for very little money and the journey should take around 4 hours. Is this correct? If I can catch the first coach out and then last coach back that should give me enough time to see Marrakech should it? Was planning to see:

Djemaa El-Fna

Tanneries

Koutoubia Mosque

Ben Youssef Madrassa

Saadian Tombs

I wanted to know what people think about the following. I’ve walked most of the peaks around the UK. Snowdon, Scarfel and Ben Nevis and while in Morocco it would be a real shame to miss out on the opportunity to trek to Mount Toubkai.

Can someone help me with the following please?

How far do I have to travel from Marrakech to start the trek ?

How can I travel this? Coach i.e SupraTours ?

I would feel more comfortable with a guide, but do I need one?

Can anyone recommend a local guide?

Which is the nearest town to the start of the trek?

Anyone know if I can travel directly from the Atlas Mountains to Agadir or is back to Marrakech?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

9 replies to this topic
Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrakech to Mount Toubkai

A day trip from Agadir to Marrakech could work now its a Motorway so 4 and half hours each way but it will be pushed to see all what is on your list taking in consideration the heat in July expect to be in the 40 degrees ( we are already getting these temperatures now ;)) .

To add to this a trip to the High Atlas wont be workable , for the foot of Toubkal you need to get to Imlil allow 90 minutes drive from Marrakech.

One option that may work if you are not able to stay 1 night , is to get a private taxi from Agadir via the 203road slow going but beautiful , stop at Tin Mal mosque then enjoy the scenique road till Marrakech and from Marrakech take Supratours back to Agadir .

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrakech to Mount Toubkai

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know how much this would cost, I need to keep the cost down and would like to keep away from private taxi if possible but will get one if no other transport is available.

Would I be able to change the plan then and travel to Marrakech see the square and the Koutoubia Mosque (1-2 hours max ) and then travel to the Atlas Mountains? The weather doesnt bother me. I travelled through the Saudi Desert last year and it was 49 degrees. Just have to deal with it.

Thanks

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,138 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrakech to Mount Toubkai

To be realistic, Toubkal is a three day/two night trek with an acclimatisation night at Imlil (1700m), a second overnight at the refuges below Toubkal (3200m), then a third day climbing the last 1000m early in the morning before returning to Imlil.

Some people ignore the acclimatisation and do the trip in two days/one night, but clearly you don't have the time for this, especially coming from Agadir which is a full day's travel by public transport.

However I'd encourage you to visit Marrakech as an overnight trip.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrakech to Mount Toubkai

hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, i'll re-think my trip and post back.

Cheers.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrakech to Mount Toubkai

Is there a coach service from Agadir to Imlil?

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marrakech to Mount Toubkai

The tanneries in July? Read this!

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293734-d318…

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,138 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marrakech to Mount Toubkai

"Is there a coach service from Agadir to Imlil?"

Not directly, there are some local buses over the Test pass to Imlil (from the direction of Taroundannt) but the very quickest route would be the new motorway from Agadir to Marrakech, then grand taxi to Asni, then Imlil.

8. Re: Marrakech to Mount Toubkai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, May 15, 2012

9. Re: Marrakech to Mount Toubkai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:45 pm, May 15, 2012

Reply to: Marrakech to Mount Toubkai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Asni
Recent Conversations