We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Samui

Which Chaweng hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Ko Samui

Been to Phuket all over the place. Bangkok and Chang Mai. Going to Samui next in July

My husband and I like a bit of action and a good beach to lay on with a cocktail and watch the people circus. In Phuket we stay in Patong as we found we always ended up there at night because of the selection of bars restaurants and the vibe. We are happy to take tuk tuk to places like Rawai and Kata during the day.

We are looking for the equivelant in Ko Samui any suggestions?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Samui

Hi

Have a look at south chaweng beach you get the best of both world. The beach are great with easy walk to bars, restaurants and nightlife ( 20mins) or short taxi/songhteaw rides. There's no tuk tuk in koh Samui. Chaweng central are similar ( but no high rise building, koh smaui building near beach are not allowed to be taller than palm tree) to Patong but smaller scale. Some says chaweng is a bit like Patong 15 years ago.

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Samui

Thanks for that. Not sure whether to go South or Central. Is Central beach not as nice at Patong or similar?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Samui

Central are similar to Patong nice beach but busy with raws of sun bed, hawkers etc. south beach are quieter. In Patong most hotels are not on beach you have to crossed the road to beach. And you have to pay for beach chairs and umbrellas. In koh Samui you most hotel are right on beach ( no road between) your hotel will have beach chairs and umbrellas for staying guests to use with no charge.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko Samui

Thanks for your help. I will do a lot a research and then come back to you for more advice when it's a little closer. Always good to know what the good price to transport etc. We have done all the haggling bit a million times so not interested in beating someone down for what turns out to be 50c. But I don't want to get ripped either. Fresh seafood is a something we like. And an evening foot massage every day. Very fussy about food. I don't like pedestrian Thai food that caters for tourist with a mild pallet. And we love to sit in a bar eat some great food drink beer and watch life go past.

Canberra
Level Contributor
583 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko Samui

You may have to try fairly hard to get authentic versions of the spicier Thai dishes. We've had best results at the roadside stalls, markets and local restaurants a little away from the main hotel/tourist areas, we always hire a car to get around at our own pace/timing.

We have T-Shirts with a photo of a bowl of chillies and Thai script indicating that we like the dishes that are meant to be spicy to be properly hot.

We haven't eaten in Chaweng for a few years now since an old favourite (called Chilli) declined in quality and then closed down. We do still go to a roadside food place at the top of Chaweng, just down the road to the lake/ring road from the start of one-way traffic. They even remember us from year to year, we go there 3-4 times over 2 weeks, sometimes we eat in, sometimes takeaway. They usually have Kua Kling if you get there early enough, a fiery dry-fried pork mince with heaps of fresh turmeric in the paste and topped with finely chopped lime leaves.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,600 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ko Samui

I don't think you can compare Chaweng to Patong. One is what the other was 20 years ago.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ko Samui

Sweet Pea Im looking at maps with stacks of hotels along the beach. Can you give me idea of where Central Chaweng is as in street names or hotels names in the vacinity. I'm looking at Asia room.s Agoda all the usual sites for accomm. But Its hard see where Central might be as I've not been there

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ko Samui

Central of Chaweng should be approximately ( there's no definitely as to where but according to my locals)from The Chaweng regent beach resort downwards to around Buri Rasa village. And from Buri rasa towards to The Samui Paradsie a Beach reosrt is south chaweng beach.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ko Samui

You may want to use this site www.sawadee.com/hotel/kohsamui instead for map. Also you might find thatmany hotels in chaweng beach address end with bophut. Don't panic they are not actually in bophut beach but only postal address. Chaweng beach are belong to Bophut sub-district.

Make short listed of the hotels and we will help you narrow it down.

Edited: 12:09 am, February 12, 2014
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ko Samui

Hi, I would stay in South chaweng as the beach is lovely but you're still within walking distance to Central Chaweng for the evening, there's bars and restaurants right along the strip, the best beach is between the Samui Parardise and the Banana Fan resort with this last option nearest to Central Chaweng, about a 10 minute stroll.