We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

does this make sense??

India
Level Contributor
367 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
does this make sense??

hi

will be landing at Surat Thani airport in April....planning to head over to Koh Tao, then to Koh Phangan and finally to Koh Samui(over 20 days)......initially i thought i would take the bus ferry combo and then hire a car when i get to Koh Phangan...and a hire another one when i get to Koh Samui........was wondering if hiring a car fromSurat Thani airport(avis) makes sense??....i could drive from the airport to Donsak ....load the car onto the ferry and head down to Koh Phangan....when i'm done there....load it onto the ferry again and head down to Samui via Donsak...a bit of a round about i know>>>..........any inputs here would be most welcome and highly appreciated

thanks

Edited: 12:48 am, February 15, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: does this make sense??

Hi

No I don't think its sensible to get from Donsak and then back to Donsak just to go to koh Samui for the sake of car hire. I would do that if there are no car hire in koh Samui. But there are so many car hire company in koh smaui including Avis, Budget, Herzt and many more of locals company to be had.

Just my though anyway.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: does this make sense??

I agree with sweetpea it doesn't make much sense, hire the car in Samui.

India
Level Contributor
367 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: does this make sense??

thanks pea.....i was thinking that if i hire the car in surat thani i will be able to keep the same car with me throughout koh phangan and koh samui instead of hiring a new one at either place......and also koh phangan does not have reputable car rental places like avis,budget etc.....and i might have to hand over my passport to hire one in koh phangan...which is something which i do not want to do!.........also i might get a better rate for hiring the car with one agency for a number of days.....just want to weigh all the pro's and cons that TA members might want to put up...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: does this make sense??

I am not sure the insurance will cover you taking the rental car on the ferry anyway. A lot of companies exclude insurance for ferry trips.

No need to do that, just hire a car at each island and save the hassle.

Do you even need a car for the whole time? Maybe go without on Phangan perhaps and taxi it around?

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: does this make sense??

hi guys

i think you should explain what you want to the hire company in surathhani

it should be no problem if thier insurance is valid

my vehicle insurance for my private jeep covers all drivers and all thailand

the ferry companies will have thier own insurance

the ferries carry full size buses and petrolium fuel for bangkok airways so a car really wont /should not be a problem

if you drive to donsak you may have to wait in line for some time depending on your arrival schedule

just to note that you can get your car to Phangan from Donsak

but from phangan to samui direct is not possible [with a car]

you have to go from Phangan back to Donsak , then donsak to samui

hireing on each island may save some valuable travelling time

cheers

Dean cleeton

6. Re: does this make sense??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 17, 2014