We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dirty beach

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Dirty beach

Am off to Samui in a couple of weeks, but am reading quite a few reviews about the beach at challenge being dirty with rubbish around. I am stopping at the Amari can anyone comment what the beach is currently like. Thanks

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dirty beach

Hi

Do you mean chaeng beach? If so the rubbish and water dirty is not permanently. Its due the high tide during monsoon mid October - December. But sometime it can drags on until end of January.

We were there end of 2012 - early 2013 and yes there's rubbish being washed up on the beach during our stay. But after this periods everything back to normal. Nice clam, clear water.

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dirty beach

hello to spivy

hopefully the wind will stop and the weather is perfect for your stay

last few days have been a bit rough so yes will be not clear water and some debris around

the wind direction changes around may at which time chaweng /lamai is on the sheltered side

cheers

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dirty beach

I commented on the litter-strewn Chaweng beach on another thread in the last couple of weeks after my short stay there. There was a lot of litter & debris, possibly because of the strongs winds & heavy seas ?. I'm currently in Lamai, and the beach is better/cleaner here. Maybe more of the mess gets cleaned up in Lamai much earlier in the morning, than Chaweng ?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,572 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dirty beach

Hi

We have been at Chaweng on rough days or on quiet days and not seen much, it does depend on the prevailing tide and winds.

Sadly the rubbish is from folks who are not responsbile with their rubbish!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dirty beach

Rubbish is unfortunately a world wide problem. After storms and rough seas it amazing what is washed up on beaches. I have seen it in Thailand, Malaysia and Australia - but it happens everywhere. I drive my family crazy trying to get anybody who will listen to try and avoid plastic.

You might be interested in this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K-lGDRZOqc

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dirty beach

can find rubbish everywhere in the world, isn't it?

Anyways, you can find that it's not that dirty. Koh Samui still being one of the best destination in Thailand so they wont ruin their own image :)

You can select to stay in various beaches but i think avoiding Chaweng Center would be a very good idea.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dirty beach

I wouldn't write off central of chaweng. Good to a look around either during the day or night. There are beach bars and restaurants to be had. Like it or loath it chaweng is still part of koh Samui.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
422 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dirty beach

I'm in lamai now beach is clean but sea is a bit choppy at the mo loving it

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dirty beach

Thanks for all your reply's I don't think I have anything to worry about based on your posts :)

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
422 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dirty beach

It's the 1st time I've been to Thailand spivy and I can wait come back next yr , this time come straight to koh Samui love it