We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad Sea Lice in Khoh Samui

Ohope, New Zealand
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bad Sea Lice in Khoh Samui

Hello All,

We have just returned from 4 weeks in Thailand. We had a great time but I just wanted to warn other travelers, who may not be aware, that we found a lot of sea lice in the ocean off Chaweng Beach in Samui and also Haad Tien? in Koh Tao. It was disappointing and made swimming in the ocean unpleasant, even thought we consider ourselves pretty resilient travelers.

I' m not wanting to put a bad spin on these beaches but just wanted to warn others. Had I been more aware of the problem with sea lice in South Chaweng Beach I probably would not have stayed there.

My family and I wondered if the presence of sea lice has anything to do with the 'spetic tanks' and /or pollution in these more developed areas.

On a positive note, I do have a great recommendation for a snorkling trip on Koh Tao. I will post a separate subject trip report on this when I dig out the guides details & phone #.

Regards

Edited: 5:04 am, July 16, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Chaweng Beach
Chaweng Beach
2,770 Reviews
Chaweng, Thailand
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Bad Sea Lice in Khoh Samui

I wrote it for Gary ms benefit, I know its an old thread but hey so what

new zealand
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: Bad Sea Lice in Khoh Samui

We had them two years in a row, and we were there in May. It was not too bad, but you could feel a little bit of a sting. Cheers

Halifax Region...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Bad Sea Lice in Khoh Samui

My husband and I are currently in Thailand and went for a day trip to Phi Phi islands on Saturday (14th Feb). We also experienced lots of sea lice which made both swimming and snorkelling very unpleasant and in fact we were unable to stay in the water because of them.

The following day I developed a red itchy rash on my arms, legs and body which I am putting down to the sea lice.

Definitely something to be wary of if you are travelling to this area of Thailand.

Mentioned in this post
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Bad Sea Lice in Khoh Samui

Due to respect koh smaui and koh phi phi are not in the same area. Koh Samui is in the east coast and koh phi phi is in the west coast.

35. Re: Bad Sea Lice in Khoh Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, February 18, 2015